Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Swift Strider
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Swift
Tumblr: throwinsixes

Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands beta

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:46 am

Your code should take a few more hours to come through. When I invited Shep and Mime to the For Honor Beta it took a few hours.

Shepard
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: Shepards Clone

Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:32 pm

Duce, your ubisoft name is wrong. it can't find anyone with that name

Fundastraz
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: The Fundastrazs

Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:22 am

("Garbage"-Lands?)

OVERVIEW
If I could have some of your time, I would like to provide my input on Ghost Recon Wildlands. For the record, I completed all the side missions and story missions, collectibles, "random" events, and a good portion of the skills. When I first joined in on it, it looked like fun. It was going to be another co-op title I could play with my brother and friends, much like The Division took up much of my time when it first came out, and the weeks afterward. It looked like a great open-world, RPG, FPS idea... but it falls short.
The "Technical Beta" is a technical nightmare, and a terrible demo. There are so many bugs and other issues that they simply cannot fix all by the game comes out. As you can see here and here in both of the relevant subreddits, I am not the only one that feels this way, as I admit that I have cancelled my pre-order on this (previously promising) title.

DISCLOSURE: The Beta only takes place in a 1-star-difficulty (out of 5) area, so anything based on difficulty could be skewed, when compared to the full game. Also, there are many shenanigans to be had. You can drive over teammates, race each other, interrupt another person's stealth run... lots of stuff.

TLDR
For those like me...

Good
Spoiler: show
- Big map
- Variety of "towns" and outposts to discover.
- Lots of resources spread around
- Lots of skills and weapons to acquire and use
- LOTS of customization of character and weapons
- Lots of vehicles
- LT aims for shooting
- Can choose preferred first-person or over-the-shoulder shooting view
- You cannot eject out of an aerial vehicle unless you have the "Parachute" skill (safety first!)
- Drone controls are intuitive and comfortable... just about the only controls other than "aim" and "fire" that are
- Can shoot through some cover, vehicle windshields, etc.

Meh
- Shooting is mediocre
- Fast cars (too fast, a lot of times)
- Drone cooldown is a bit too short = SPAM
- ALL vehicles have in-cab domelights that ALWAYS turn on when you exit or enter the vehicle (not stealthy)
- No vehicles have parking brakes (motorcycles will balance and keep on moving, even if they hit a wall)
- The "Look behind" option vehicles is almost useless when you have an easy-to-use 360-degree camera
- You can run-over teammates
- I probably killed a hundred civilians and allies, but the threat of a penalty never came to fruition
- Calling in a vehicle drop is immediate (right on top of you)... seems like there should at least be SOME delay
- You can change your loadout at any time, even though there are refill/loadout boxes literally EVERYWHERE
- Even though supplies are everywhere, it would be nice if they were shared with the entire squad, rather than having a train of people throwing 4 trackers in one single barrel of gasoline
- Enemies have little health, and are easily killed

Bad
- No alternative control presets/schemes
- Cars have little traction
- Sniper bullet velocity is extremely slow; leading is a chore
- Cover system is glitchy
- Turrets in ground vehicles are completely useless, unless the vehicle is stationary
- Helicopter piloting is a joke, and aiming in one is like shooting a distant star in the neighboring galaxy with an airsoft gun
- Easy missions (even on the harder difficulties)
- AI is dumb and doesn't deviate from a path (you can wait for all the AI to leap over the same wall, right into your aim)
- Spotting an AI is permanent, so there is no chance of the enemy flanking you
- Any time you take damage, an annoying "Fall Back" message pops up to tell you not to die
- Every round is a tracer, and snipers leave a ridiculous smoke trail
- Parachute takes about an hour to deploy
- Aim-assist is terrible, and only locks-on when you ADS
- There is no suicide button when you're downed, meaning you have to wait the full 60 seconds to respawn, even if you're in the middle of nowhere with no enemies around you
- Respawning on an ally in a vehicle will spawn you near the vehicle, not inside it or beside it, even when it is moving
- When you have moved the camera, it takes about an hour to reset to your position (Mad Max had this too, and it made you decide to either A. Look behind you and risk whatever's in front of you, or B. Keep on looking forward, but hope there wasn't an enemy ramming you from behind)
- Muzzle-flash animations are terrible
- No option to turn off annoying hit-marker sound
- Has less story than Destiny
- Almost no way to take down enemy aircraft

Bugs
- Map routes aren't always accurate, and don't always lead you to the best route
- Teammate markers are CONSTANTLY flipping around and giving you seizures
- Hitboxes are either too big for objects, or too small (including vehicles)
- Vehicles can be destroyed PURELY by damaging their windows and other visual items (all of it shares the same hitbox)
- Unoccupied vehicles don't have a brake, and can run over you, even if you roll out of the vehicle
- Switching to passenger in a helicopter gives it permission to do a crazy ballerina spin
- Grenade launcher arcs will eventually just go straight down when partially through the arc
- Multiplayer desync issues
- AI (civilian and enemy) teleport/rubberband
- Enemies see you even if you're in concealment
- Enemies will despawn
- Enemy Apaches have no hitpoints against miniguns (immediately die)
- Shooting outside of moving vehicles are not gyroed (making it impossible to even try to be functional)
- Most cover doesn't let you take cover
- Game sound is muffled after death in some cases, and only fix is to reset the game
- Reloading animation is scary sometimes
- Bushes are solid against projectiles

"TECHNICAL" BETA
Here is some elaboration on good aspects, bugs, and issues in the game, split up by different categories:

On-Foot
The Good - Left Trigger is aiming, which is becoming a common thing in the FPS genre, it seems. The controls take you seemlessly from the third-person/over-the-shoulder to first-person without feeling like you're going warp-speed. You can even press in the right thumbstick to switch from the first-person view to the over-the-shoulder view, and it'll stay that way, if it's your preference. When aiming, you see an easy diagram to be able to use the direction-pad to switch weapon fire rates, equip/unequip suppressor, change reticule, or equip grenade launcher. When not aiming, you have to remember that up is drone, right is IR/nightvision, down is binoculars, and left is switch grenades.

Presets - Without an elite controller, there's not changing the presets. Whatever the game has, you have to stick with it. This includes on-foot, driving vehicles, riding passenger in vehicles, and drone controls. ALL OF IT, with NO alternatives.

Sensitivity and Aiming - The controls are clunky, too uneven, and aren't natural. For aiming, I spent probably about 15 minutes at the very beginning of the game making a new controller setup on my elite controller, just to get the third-person turning fast and responsive enough to reliably turn around at close to a 90-degree angle. I was under the impression that if I wanted to turn around a building, I better be able to do it fast and reliably. I brought the dead-zones to zero, set responsiveness to "instant" on my right (aiming) stick, and found that it took a good fraction of a second before the game accelerated me to full speed turning in any direction.
Unfortunately, this messed up my aiming for the entire rest of the game. Because I knew a lot of my time would be with me moving between point A and point B, I ended up not being able to optimize for the other aspects of gameplay. For aiming, especially when I finally acquired a sniper with a measely 4x ACOG scope, there isn't anything to help precision aim. No holding of breath. No aim assist... In hindsight, maybe I should have tuned my controls differently, but by default all of those were terrible in the game's default state that I didn't feel like I could do anything.

Crouch and Melee - The B-button is used for crouch/prone, and the R-stick-inward is used for melee. I think I only successfully melee'd a ONCE... and it was a civilian. That was the only time I managed to melee something. So I think the B-button should be used to melee, at least until we find that a later part in the game requires you to mine dirt out by beating it with the butt of your rifle, to build a house later. Also, the crouch action is used to get into cover, which happens WAY more often than there are civilians to melee.

Cover - Speaking of... cover is absolutely terrible, at best. You can crouch to get behind cover, but nothing is cover quite like only a rare few objects in the game. Trying to use cover adequately is a lottery. When getting behind walls, it works most of the time. But when trying to use a corner of a structure as cover, it won't let you do it. When you're close enough to think you're able to shoot around the corner, you end up shooting the cover. However, if you're far enough for the game to let you shoot around the corner, you're also far enough for the enemies to turn you into two-face.

Vehicles
More Good - The best thing about the vehicles is the different classes of vehicles. There are big delivery trucks, tractors, Lamborghini-like sport-scars, buggies, hummers, jeeps, older cars (think Cadillacs and Buicks), SUVs, old minivans new and old trucks, and many more that I didn't get to experience (I saw a trailer where a player was driving... well... see for yourself. The cars are easy to recognize, as there is almost no color variation, so it's easy to find the car you prefer driving the opposite way. You can hijack any civilian's car, and take any car that is just sitting there. The map gives you a colored icon, corresponding to what faction is occupying it, if any, and what class of vehicle it is, in some cases.
There are even a few different helicopters (full-sized rescue-type copters, two-seater Little Birds with and without guns, and the enemies have Apache helicopters that are extremely weak.
In addition, you have controls over the lights ON the vehicle. This includes any external lamps on a car (usually on SUVs and trucks), headlights, and taillights.
Car damage is pretty cool on the exterior. For instance, you can damage each individual light, and it'll stop working. You can shoot tires out of moving vehicles. You can shoot through windows, but not doors... that type of thing. There's bad things with this, but we'll address that later.

Aaaaaaaaaand here's where we lost traction. Literally.

Need for SPEEEEEEED - Of any game I've played, I don't think I've played a game with vehicles this fast. In Forza, I have a C-class car that gets to 230 mph on a clear day, and I have cars that are 5 classes above that. In this game, ANY car is a speed-demon. You can get in a old minivan (think this), and take off like a rocket. So much speed, that it becomes hard going around some corners. You can literally take the same car and climb a mountain, because you have too much speed. Believe me. I did it. But it gets REALLY annoying when a big military truck can blow past any group of enemies before they have a chance to turn. There is so much speed in the tires, that sometimes it's unavoidable to overcorrect on a straight path. The steering consists of straight, and 90-degrees, which doesn't help with trying to drive down a straight road.

AirHeads - The helicopters have terrible controls, and they're the only air vehicles I could fly in the game. The only plane in the beta area is during a side-mission, and my friend flew that one. The helicopters COULD be great, if they were like they are in Battlefield. The throttle up/down is the Right-trigger/Left-trigger, and the pitch/yaw is controlled by the left stick. The right-stick is purely devoted to the camera, which makes strafing and aiming these vehicles impossible. Plus, the game will try to auto-balance you out, and over-corrects when you come out of a steep pitch, making you wiggle. There are miniguns attached to the wings of some of the small helicopters,

Damage - Damage on vehicles in this game is almost a joke, as far as where the damage can be dealt on the vehicle. Solely shooting a vehicle's windshield can destroy it. You don't have to touch the engine, tires, or anything else. Just the engine.

Swift Strider
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Swift
Tumblr: throwinsixes

Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:24 am

Great write up Funds! I was going to by the game because there hasn't been a Ghost Recon that I didn't enjoy and the latest one I loved. However after playing this test for maybe 4 hours with Mime and Mzoga I doubt I will. It's sad because I do like open world games and The Division was a very well made game but obviously they didn't carry that over to whatever studio made this one.

Shepard
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: Shepards Clone

Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:15 pm

Whilst i have had fin on this beta, (i was playing with cruck) we both think it is a game we will get but not until the price drops. and i can see this game getting traded in pretty quickly after release.

Cruckeyee
Master Wheelman
Master Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Cruckeyee

Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:40 pm

Yeah, it has potential, certainly, but some basic things like movement and the cover system makes things unpleasant sometimes. I'll pick it up, at some point.

The time has come, and so have I

Mzoga
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: HWM Mzoga

Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:18 pm

Swift Strider wrote:
Great write up Funds! I was going to by the game because there hasn't been a Ghost Recon that I didn't enjoy and the latest one I loved. However after playing this test for maybe 4 hours with Mime and Mzoga I doubt I will. It's sad because I do like open world games and The Division was a very well made game but obviously they didn't carry that over to whatever studio made this one.

I totally didn't shoot and miss that guy on the left.

Fundastraz
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: The Fundastrazs

Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:22 am

I'm sorry about my write-up not elaborating on everything. I hope the TLDR is good enough for people to get a brief overview of it. I wanted to get the full elaboration done tonight, but I don't think I'll be doing that, as I'm exhausted after work.