Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Civilization 6

Fri May 13, 2016 3:01 pm

HYPE.

Polygon detailed a lot of the new features coming to the game. LINK

One change: buildings will no longer remain within the single city tile; they will now have to be placed on a tile around the city. Unit stacking will return in a limited way, where units can be merged together for certain benefits, such as combining a melee unit with a battering ram or an infantry unit with an anti-aircraft gun. In diplomacy, leaders will have agendas so they'll hopefully make more sense.

Discuss. I may have to buy a computer now that can play this in October.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

CINCO
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: HWM Cinco

Re: Civilization 6

Fri May 13, 2016 3:47 pm

I would get this game. The caps of the graphics haven't looked very good compared to the last one
Last edited by CINCO on Fri May 13, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[redacted]

Chaos
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: HWM Chaos

Fri May 13, 2016 3:55 pm

This game is going to be amazing, I'm installing Civ:V again just out of pure hype.

brickfungus
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Title: Owner
Gamertag: HWM BrickFungus

Fri May 13, 2016 3:56 pm

i'm scared to even try it... cuz i know i'll love it
THIS SHOULDN'T BE HERE

I'M A LEGEND IN MY SPARE TIME

Swift Strider
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Swift
Tumblr: throwinsixes

Fri May 13, 2016 11:21 pm

I think the last Civ game I played was 4? I can't remember. But I do remember being really hyped about Beyond Earth. I just know these kind of games are times sinks for me and I love playing them co op but rarely get the chance.

HWM What Name
Apprentice Gunner
Apprentice Gunner
Gamertag: HWM What Name

Sat May 14, 2016 9:07 am

So this is how my academic career ends
What

Panda
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM Trash Panda

Sat May 14, 2016 3:17 pm

Adam has always been a big fan of Civ and I have dabbled in it so I would love to play it but I would have to upgrade my pc before I even had a chance to play it.

Chaos
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: HWM Chaos

Mon May 16, 2016 11:49 am

Sazed wrote:
Adam has always been a big fan of Civ and I have dabbled in it so I would love to play it but I would have to upgrade my pc before I even had a chance to play it.

Civ can usually run on low spec PC's..not sure about 6 but 5 could run on a toaster.

Panda
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM Trash Panda

Mon May 16, 2016 1:03 pm

According to my brother the only thing we would need is a new graphics card but I would prefer to upgrade the whole thing to make sure it runs as smooth as posible.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Thu May 26, 2016 11:25 am

The press and some popular civ players got to play 60 turns of the new Civ game and have had a lot of positive stuff to say.

Here's an article about it from Rock, Paper, Shotgun: LINK

quill18, a popular Civ YouTuber made a two part video going over a three-minute highlight video they released after he got to play with a ton of notes. It's about an hour's worth of content, but he has some good insights:

Spoiler: show

I'm super excited. I really like Builders over Workers, as I always found the concept of workers hanging around forever to be a bit dumb and an annoying thing to micromanage, as there are large parts of the game where they do nothing. I also like builders creating improvements instantly. I've never liked the notion that it took 100 years to build a plantation. Feels weird.

I really like roads being created by trade routes. That feels much more organic. Also frees up a lot of the important aspects of workers in favor of builders.

Districts make so much sense to me. Having science, military, cultural, spiritual, and entertainment buildings form themselves in districts devoted to them makes so much sense and makes warfare far more interesting. The late game air battle will be extra important with bombers being able to damage districts.

The new diplomacy is going to create so many interesting engagements over the course of the game.

I'm incredibly amped about the ability to research social policies as well as technology. I also really like the fact that we can speed up the research towards something by taking action. More than anything, the passive aspects of Civ aren't in place as much in this Civ from what I can see. We seem to be taking a lot more action and making more meaningful decisions.

The biggest thing I'm excited about is the government system, and the ability to put in cards towards a major governmental system to change our social policies. This will lead to so much more dynamic gameplay, so we won't see hour and a half videos explaining the exact start you need to make each game.

I'm super excited.

Tims
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Tims

Thu May 26, 2016 12:30 pm

Same, can't wait to nuke stuff either.
2/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

CINCO
Role Unknown
Role Unknown

Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:42 am

to give you an idea how long I've been playing civ, the first one the copy protection was secret code words written on specific pages of the manual. So you're have to turn to a page and give the code word.

here's a pdf copy of the manual
http://www.retrogames.cz/manualy/DOS/Ci ... l_-_PC.pdf
[redacted]

Jimmy_jam
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: HWM JimmyJam

Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:07 am

I have actually never played a civilization game but I have played a lot of total wars. Do you think I would like this?

CINCO
Role Unknown
Role Unknown

Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:17 am

Civ is pretty great, the only problem is it's basically a time machine to the future. You start playing and what feels like 30 minutes is 5 hours
[redacted]

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:07 am

We finally got some information about City States.

David Hinkle wrote:
In this blog post, we outline the changes to City-States in Civilization VI and introduce the new Envoy system, which allows players to send emissaries off to increase your influence with City-States and receive valuable bonuses. Read on!

What are City-States?

City-States, introduced in Civilization V, are singular cities that act independent of the player and rival leaders in Civilization VI. They have their own political relationships, can engage in war, and provide players a means of diplomacy outside of dealing with the major civilizations.

In Civilization VI, City-States are much more streamlined over their Civilization V counterparts, and feature updated quests that become visible after a player sends an Envoy there. Completing a City-State’s quests earn additional Envoys there, which help you enact more influence and earn greater rewards as you continue to strengthen your relationship that particular City-State.

What are Envoys?

Envoys are a type of emissary that players can send to City-States for the purpose of furthering their agenda in Civilization VI. Envoys earn resources over time and, the more Envoys you send to a particular City-State, the greater the influence you have over that City-State. With enough influence, you can become Suzerain of that City-State, which yields unique bonuses and guarantees allegiance during times of peace and war. Suzerains can even pay gold to levy the City-State’s military units for a limited time.

Players can even send an Envoy to a City-State they are at war with, potentially changing the City-State’s allegiance in the middle of the conflict. Declaring war on a City-State removes all Envoys the player has there; otherwise, Envoys stay on a City-State permanently.

There are certain conditions and actions that may allow Envoys to be removed from a City-State, and we’ll be explaining these situations as we get closer to the launch of Civilization VI.

Join the conversation on social media by using the hashtag #OneMoreTurn, and be sure to follow the Civilization franchise on social media to keep up to date with the latest news and information on Sid Meier’s Civilization VI.

http://twitter.com/civgame
http://facebook.com/civ
http://youtube.com/civilization

I'm going to need more details about how we gain or create envoys. However, I'm very excited about this mechanic. I very much like how Civ 6 seems to be geared around us taking action in this game at every level. We use an envoy to see what that City State wants, and then choose if we want to invest the resources into completing quests for that City State to gain its allegiance. This is much fairer than whoever has the most money and invests in the right policies just throws money at city states and then declares war to lock you out of them.

More than anything, I'm super excited about how much we actually DO in this Civ. Honestly, much of Civ is waiting for workers to build improvements, waiting for buildings and units to be built, and then finally, after dozens upon dozens of turns maybe engaging in a war. I'm excited to see what kind of actions we'll need to take to win culture victories in this game.