Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Tims
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Tims

Runescape

Tue May 10, 2016 6:17 am

Runescape has been my guilty pleasure MMO since I started playing it and I still play it to this day and actually really enjoy the game, so I wonder how many of you guys have played/still play it. MC sparked this recently when he mentioned it, I didn't think any of the wheelmen would have touched the game in years if at all, so it was a pleasant surprise to hear about it. Until I got my Xbox One recently this game was one of the main games I played on PC, and even though it's an MMO I got a lot of solid solo play time out of it.

If anyone feels the urge to try RS again, there are two versions now. The "main game" is known as RS3 and features the EOC (Evolution of Combat) system that was implemented (and heavily improved since) back in 2012. Initially I hated this system (along with the vast majority of the community) and this made me leave the game for a while. However after coming back and giving it a fair shot I can say it was a necessity. It isn't perfect but it did open up the game for things that weren't possible before, but at a cost. The PvP community in RS3 is almost non-existent because all of the hardcore PvPers play Old School (more on that next). However, the PvE experiences are 100x better than they ever could've been with the old system. This leads to the big divide in the community being PvP versus PvE. Also very recently they upgraded the game client from Java to C++, a more modern programming language. As a result the game doesn't look like it's stuck in 2005 anymore, which well take a load off the eyes.

The other version is OSRS (Oldschool Runescape). Essentially it was a carbon copy of the game that they had saved back in 2007, and they hosted it on seperate servers so that players could play the old game again. The way they keep it alive is by voting in the content that the community wants. I don't personally play OSRS but you can play both versions with the same accounts (different stats and banks, but you only have to pay for one subscription to get both). It's nice to go back and visit old places in the old look for nostalgia, but this won't appeal to new players.

Speaking of subscriptions, you can buy membership with in game gold now, so if you're so inclined to "work" for your game time you can. If you're rich as hell in game this is a viable option indefinitely, otherwise a couple of hours can buy two weeks of playtime so it's possible for everyone.

Of course, can't make this thread without trying to add anyone who actually plays, so my ign is "Completed". Feel free to add me or do some 'mirin on the highscores.
2/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

HWM What Name
Apprentice Gunner
Apprentice Gunner
Gamertag: HWM What Name

Re: Runescape

Tue May 10, 2016 6:27 am

Oh the memories.. Used to play, every day after school. I must have quit a year or two before that auction thing got implemented, but what a ride it was. The tears of sadness when I lost my rune armour doing the Underground Pass quest, and the tears of joy when killing that huge ass bug queen thing.

What

Swift Strider
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Swift
Tumblr: throwinsixes

Tue May 10, 2016 7:18 am

Oh man I doubt I remember my log in details or what level I was... 40 something? I just remember a lot of mining rune essence and selling it at the bank until eventually I had other people doing that and was giving them a cut of the profits so I could stay at the bank and sell all the ess.

hel monkey
Heroic Gunner
Heroic Gunner
Gamertag: HWM Hel Monkey

Thu May 12, 2016 9:36 pm

I was level 87 I think.

99 wood cutting. Magic trees at Seers village was my hang out. Seers village was the bomb. Magic trees, flax, and Lobby fishing all 15 seconds from the bank.

Runescape is where the name hel monkey came from.

Jonesy
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: l Jonesy I

Fri May 13, 2016 2:19 am

I played Rs for about 10 years on and off from 2003 to around 2013. Maxed my account around a year before EoC was released. Played the game to death, think i actually racked up a years worth a in game time.

I didn't actually mind EoC, just got a bit bored in the end.

I've actually been playing private servers the last couple of years which are actually pretty fun. Especially because they're based around 11/12 scape which is when i enjoyed Rs the most
Don't take life too seriously, or you'll never get out alive

Syience
Mythic Wheelman
Mythic Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Syience

Fri May 13, 2016 5:57 am

Definitely played it back ii middle school. Recently picked it up again and got my coveted Magic 99 that I always wanted.

Have not played it in about 2 years though, left when they rolled out the combat update.
Spoiler: show

Monster
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Title: Admin
Gamertag: HWM Monster

Mon May 23, 2016 1:37 pm

Picked this up again to hang with Timmy, fresh account never felt so strange

Fundastraz
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: The Fundastrazs

Mon May 23, 2016 1:39 pm

I have the credentials for my old character. Should we create an event for this?

Swift Strider
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Tue May 24, 2016 12:26 am

I'm gonna give it a go when I get in

Tims
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Tims

Tue May 24, 2016 12:50 am

If you're looking for a fun casual game with lots of content and variety, I say give this game a try if you've got the time.
2/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Fundastraz
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Tue May 24, 2016 12:58 am

We should probably post our usernames. I'm "Fundastraz".

Swift Strider
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Tue May 24, 2016 1:23 am

I logged into my Runescape first try, it was like "Welcome back Player#2534508 you last logged in 3456 days ago." or something.

Fundastraz
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Tue May 24, 2016 1:27 am

10 years? Get the cape from Lumbridge.

Thee MC
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM MC

Tue May 24, 2016 2:47 am

Yeah I can't remember my old account, so I started a new one. Leveling up fairly quickly! Add meh: Thee Emsee

XxxxJammyxxxX
Master Gunner
Master Gunner
Gamertag: XxxxJammyxxxX

Tue May 24, 2016 5:43 am

I burned SO much time in Runescape when I was young(er!). I remember crafting bowstrings and selling them for 100gp ea; spamming that in chat with the various colour tags made up the better part of my day. Of course then they released the Grand Exchange and suddenly all my old tat that used to get passed over in the "Bank Sales" was worth a fortune and I went up to well over "1 mil" in a day. Did anyone else play much Castle Wars?

My in game name is tails789 (before Jammy was Jammy) if anyone wants to add me in the hopes I play again one day.

Epical sig by Haut Medoc. Dan, is the man!