Get in the Hog if you want to live!

RJ
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM RJ

RJ's Laser Guide

Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Its finally hosted on our site too now so you don't have to click over to HC whenever you want to read it.

Click to mega expand
Spoiler: show
So you want to learn about the Laser 'eh?
This guide will help you learn how to effectively use the Spartan Laser in Big Team Battle or Squad Battle. All maps are included with detailed descriptions of the best places to Laser from as well as the pros and cons of each spot. In this guide I will not be covering how to secure the laser, because that should be decided upon by the team before the start of the game. This guide will focus on how to best use the Laser once it is secured. The Spartan Laser is the most potentially important weapon on the battlefield. Controlling the Laser in BTB and Squad allows your team to run vehicles with the most direct thread eliminated and also keeps enemy vehicles from wrecking havoc on your team. This guide is also written assuming you're playing with a large party and communicating by making at least basic callouts.

Lets get started shall we?

Before you have the Laser in your possession, you need to be thinking what kind of situation you will be in once you have secured it. If there are going to be high numbers of infantry moving on your position, then you probably want to move to a new location. A Laser humper's best tool is alert and aware of your surroundings. You should never be taken by surprise. Taking that into consideration, you will have multiple Laser spots on a map in which you can fight from. Some are best for defense, some are best for offense and all have their pros and cons. Picking the best spot for the situation requires careful study of the situation.

In addition to the Laser, there are a few other things you should have in order to most effectively use your weapon. Always have plenty of ammunition in a second weapon. I recomend this being a BR because it is one of the most versatile weapons in the game. If you're on Avalanche, a good secondary is Rockets because they're on a low respawn time. Therefore you're not really taking away another power weapon from your teammates fighting for ground at Lower and Upper Keyhole. Besides a good secondary weapon, you should also have a good piece of equipment. I recommend a Regenerator, Bubble Shield or Powerdrain. These will come in handy if a player does somehow sneak around you and you find yourself caught by surprise. Equipment will give you an edge over the other player in a 1v1 fight if used correctly.

Your most important asset is your teammates. The reason why teams of randoms often lose to parties of 8 is because there is little communication between randoms, while there is lots of communication between teams. Your teammates should help you by calling out enemy threats before you can actually see them. In some instances, you can start charging your laser and hit a target just as they come into view because you got a great callout from your buddies.

Avalanche
(Multi-Flag, Slayer, Neutral Assault, 1 Bomb, 1 Flag, Territories)
Laser Respawn Rate - 3 minutes - IMPORTANT: Runtime max for the Laser on the MM version of Avalanche is set to 1. So, the second (or third, fourth, etc) Laser will not spawn until the previous one is dropped, even if it has been over 3 minutes from when the previous Laser was grabbed. This makes Lower Keyhole an important area to control because the team without laser control has no way of knowing when the new one will spawn. If it has been over 3 minutes since the previous laser was grabbed, once it is dropped and new one will spawn instantly.

The two images above are from the primary Laser position at each side's turret. Most vehicles will expect a Laser here, this means they will try and use alternate strategies after a few attempts; usually a Hog through upper or active camo. Your place of intrest is the circled area so you can watch for jumpers and catch a glimpse of ground vehicles before they see you. While at your turret area, move around a bit in order to not be predictable. If you stay in the same exact spot, vehicles will know exactly where you are and possibly be able to put shots on you to throw you off.

The Partition spot can be used for when your team is pushed up really far and you find yourself not getting a lot of action.
IMPORTANT: Only move here if you have a Bubble/Regenerator and at least 1 teammate at Lower Key. This is because enemy infantry will often spawn at Turret and launch to Lower. You are highly exposed from Lower Key.

*TEAMWORK TIP*
Your Hornet pilot is your best friend. Usually, your Hornet will be hanging around Lower and has a better view of the other side. The Hornet can see vehicles such as Warthogs and other Hornets coming, but will need assistance when engaging them. Your Hornet can make the callout and draw the vehicle around the bend, while you charge your Laser and hit it just as it comes into sight.

Eighty Grit
(1 Flag)
Laser Respawn Rate - 3 minutes - Laser is located on top of the tallest middle structure in the shape of a T. It is accessable by grav-lift located directly underneath. (Pictured Below) HINT: Don't throw the grav-lift under the overhang!

On offense, you can choose from the top of the Offensive Base or up in the Dunes. The Dunes offers a better height advantage, but a longer (less accurate shot). The base has some obstructions, but a much closer shot. On offense, you should look to take out their Hog and Chopper, then take out the first guys you see with the remaining shot(s). This is because on offense, you need most of your team concentrated on pulling a flag. The Defensive Base is very campable, so the more people rushing the better.

On Defense, you can again choose from the Dunes or Base. The base will put you under fire because the offense will be looking to pull the Flag. The Dunes won't make you a primary target if you hide in the shadows on the outskirts of the map, but if an enemy happens to spot you, you better make sure you have a Bubble/Regenerator. Contrary to offense, you will want to save your lasers for vehicles later in the round. Pulling the flag is much easier when the defensive team is distracted by an enemy vehicle, so don't let them have one.

Download Eight Grit: HERE!

Last Resort
(1 Flag, 1 Bomb, Territories)
Respawn Rate - 2 minutes-Defense will always get Laser at the start (unless they're just plain stupid). Once you have Laser, move to this position or the one in the video below:

Aim at the archway to the Beach; this is the only passage for vehicles from the Beach to the rest of the Map. For 1 Bomb, try to hit the vehicle with the bomb carrier on it. Do not go for the Ghost. If you get really lucky, something like this could happen:

After firing you first shot you should move here in order to take a second shot at any vehicles that did not take the jump. This is where you will usually hit the Ghost. Once all vehicles in the initial push have been destroyed or abandoned, you can either stay at the above position, or move the the position below. This depends on how hard the offense is pushing; don't be the one pushed up farthest.

*TEAMWORK TIP*
Your team may be able to put scouts on the Seawall. If so, they should make callouts of any vehicles headed to the base. It is also good to know where any enemy snipers are located, as they will be looking to eliminate you and clear the way for their vehicles.

Sandtrap/Sand Tarp
(Multi-Flag, Slayer, Territories / Slayer, 1 Bomb)
Respawn Rate - 3 minutes at each base - The most important thing to remember about Slayer on Sandtrap and Sand Tarp is that there are no designated 'sides' after the start of the game. You spawn near your teammates, not necessarily the base you start at. After the beginning of the game, try to stick with your teammates. If you find yourself alone, make your way to a place that you can control by yourself and away from major spawn hives.

At the start of the game, grab Laser and move to the top of either Long Base or Short Base. Look out towards Banshee spawn to Laser Hogs, Choppers and the Banshee if you team does not get it. Prioritize in this order: Banshee>Hog>Chopper>Prowler (if applicable). If your teammates have moved away from you and left you alone at your base, it is possilbe for the other team to spawn in the area. Good places to move to are the downed ships. Long Side has the Albatross (Pelican) and Short side has the Phantom (Pictured below in that order.) The Elephants can also be a place to lay low for a while.

One thing I strongly discourage is going up on the high dune. This is because it leaves you very exposed to Vehicles that come around the outside, Snipers and Other Lasers. It also gives you a very very long shot, especially at vehicles on the other side of the map.

*TEAMMATE TIP*
As mentioned before, stick together. Try and stay with a teammate, but don't push up too far so that you run a higher risk of dieing. Its best to stick back with a support player like a Sniper. If you do find yourself alone, make your way to an area that is not a major spawn hive (move away from Short, Long Vehicle and Territory 1).

Standoff
(Multi-Flag, Slayer, Neutral Assault, Land Grab, 1 Bomb, Territories, VIP)

Respawn Rate - 3 minutes - Laser spawns in middle of map. Teams have a few different setups for Standoff, but most include throwing nades to the other team's side in the beginning of the game ('Make it Rain'), having 2 people grab the hog. If you pull Laser, you can usually hold onto it for a while if you're smart with it. I suggest using shots primarily on Warthogs. The warthog can turn a game around very fast, so don't let the other team gain momentum.

This view is taken from above one of the bases. This is the highest point of the map and gives you the best view, however some shots can be quite long and gaps between the rocks are very small to hit a moving target. If you're going to hang out up here, keep an eye out for mongooses. They will often attempt to sneak around you and catch you by surprise. Callouts come handy here.

Both Bruteshot and Camo spawns are pretty high areas that give a good view of the landscape. Obviously, you have a better shot any enemies on the side you're closest to. You can assist your teammates on the BR line, but it also puts you in the line of fire a little more. If you don't have full control of your BR line, then the Camo spawn may not be a great idea, as enemy infantry can move from your Rocket Rock to Camo.

If your team is pushing up on the other team's BR and you're finding yourself in a kill drought, then you can move up to your BR line. I prefer Rocket Rock because it is taller and offers a little more height advantage. The primary danger of this is that the other team can spawn at the silo closest to your Rocket Rock. This is where a powerdrain can come in handy if they decide to rush you.

Valhalla
(Multi-Flag, Slayer, Neutral Assault, 1 Bomb, Territories)
Respawn Rate - 3 minutes - General Laser strategy includes rushing hill, and dropping back with Laser. Once your team has established a level of map control, decide where you are most effective without putting yourself in too much risk. You can always sit back in your cozy base with Laser if the other team is pushing hard, but chances are you won't have Laser control if you're confined to your base the entire game.

Position above is called Flat Rock. It offers a good view of the Hill and Turret area. Vehicles will not be able to pass the center of the map if you are set up here. If the other team pushes hard, they can come through the shotgun cave to kill you, so make sure you have some buddies watching your back.

Territory 1 is another good place from the opposite base. Banshees will often hide around water cave so you should watch your head. Similar to Flat Rock, enemies will try to push through the River, so have friendlies around.

If your team has Hill, you may may make the decision to move to Turret. This is a good idea if the primary battle is over the Hill. You can assist your teammates from Turret and the enemy vehicles will not be able to reach the Hill. However, there is great risk as enemy spawns are somewhat close. Make sure you grab the Bubble Shield located near the radio antennae.

If you're feeling adventurous you can move to the Pelican. You can rack up a lot of BR kills here as the shotgun caves a great choke points and enemies are vulnerable to grenades. I suggest moving here if you have another person with you (snipers like to hang out here too) and have complete Hill control.

Finally we have the Hill. The most dangerous place to carry the Laser, but also the most rewarding. From the hill you have an unobstructed view of the base and almost all major spawn areas. When Lasering from the Hill, you must watch from many things and never let down your guard. The biggest threat to a person on the Hill is the enemy Sniper. There isn't much you can do about that except keep your head down. Don't Laser the Sniper because another teammate will just pick it up. Enemies can spawn at the Caves, Territory 1 or Territory 3 (depending on the side) or even directly underneath the hill. All of these areas are pretty close to the Hill and if you're not alert, they can sneak around. Infantry will often try to flank you around Pelican or Turret, so keep a buddy with you at all times on the Hill.

Workplace Bravo
(Slayer)
Respawn Rate - 3 minutes - IMPORTANT: Run Time Max is set to 1 meaning only 1 Laser will be on the map at a given moment. This is the same thing as Avalanche, so even if 3 minutes has elapsed from when the previous Laser was picked up, a new one will not spawn unless the old one is dropped.

Because Workplace is a fairly new map, I inserted a map overview. The Laser spawns on a little ledge between two inverted stone platforms. This is the heavily circled are on the screen above. In BTB, 4 players will spawn on the ground in front of the base (the other two circled areas above). These 4 people on each side will be the ones closest to the Laser in the beginning and should rush there first. You will spawn almost looking at the other team, so the bullets will start flying fast.

Workplace is pretty straightforward, you can either Laser from the Base or the Dunes behind the base. Neither area offers a great height advantage to the map. There are a lot of objects on the ground floor, so this along with not being elevated makes it hard to see targets in the center of the map. Hogs and Choppers will often move towards the outside if they are under heavy fire, so wait until they move towards the dunes to take your shot, if you can't get a clear hit. If you decide to move to the dunes, make sure you have a Bubble or Regen in the case you start getting shot at (also watch for snipers).

Download Workplace Bravo: HERE!

*TEAMWORK TIP*

If you are playing with a group that does not have a lot of experience with Workplace, you may want to check it out in Forge before you head into Matchmaking. Have players fly around on their own to get a feel for the map. Make sure you point out important weapons and areas to control. Workplace can be a bit disorienting the first few times you play it, so look for landmarks that will point you in the right direction.

Heavy Variants:
Avalanche Heavy - Base Laser: 2 minutes Neutral Laser: Does not Respawn
Sandrap Heavy - Base Laser: 2 minutes Neutral Lasers: Do not Respawn
Standoff Heavy - Base Lasers: 2 minutes Top Lasers: 2 minutes
Valhalla Heavy - Base Laser: 2 minutes Neutral Lasers: Do not Respawn
Last edited by RJ on Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
1/3 of the HWM U-Haul Trifecta

[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

H3WM alistaro
Apprentice GP
Apprentice GP
Gamertag: H3WM alistaro

Re: RJ's Laser Guide

Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:27 am

Took a while to read but i think i benefitted from it. Thanks for posting ::hul::

OcR LouieBlack
Legendary Wheelman
Legendary Wheelman
Gamertag: OcR LouieBlack

Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:17 am

good writeup, thanks RJ
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

SG NAMLOCO
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: SG NAMLOCO

Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:54 pm

Again, your telling people my secrets!!!! stop!!!! ::lol::

Nam
ImageImageImage

SG NAMLOCO
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder

Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:15 pm

Anyone hear of a Laser glitch that let's you stay charged and automatically shoot when swiped over a enemy's head? I had a random friend in the party last night and I was talking about the Laser leaderboards and who I was about to overtake in the next spot up. He recognized the name...I know this guy as a cheater anyhow but said this guy either told him and had in his file share or maybe it was a you tube vid about how he does this glitch which gives him all these laser kills.

As a legit gamer I think this is crap if its true and a sustaining pillar of my claim on these gamers/groups to be cheaters and the filth of XBL.

anyhow true or not, has anyone heard of this glitch?

'Nam
ImageImageImage

RJ
Heroic GP
Heroic GP

Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:46 pm

I highly doubt it. I think that if there was a major glitch like that, a lot of people would know by now and it would have been patched in one the the last 3 title updates. There is a glitch that can happen in lag where more than 1 laser medal pops up on your screen (Like This) but it is only a visual glitch. In the postgame stats, you are only credited with 1 laser kill, not 4.

[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

SG NAMLOCO
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:40 pm

rjesps wrote:
I highly doubt it. I think that if there was a major glitch like that, a lot of people would know by now and it would have been patched in one the the last 3 title updates. There is a glitch that can happen in lag where more than 1 laser medal pops up on your screen (Like This) but it is only a visual glitch. In the postgame stats, you are only credited with 1 laser kill, not 4.

hmm, I asked cause a friend of mine had it in his file share from the guy [first person] as he did it. makes me wonder if he found it and no one else has...possible I guess :?

Nam
ImageImageImage

oo5
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman
Gamertag: oo5

Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:20 pm

SG NAMLOCO wrote:
Anyone hear of a Laser glitch that let's you stay charged and automatically shoot when swiped over a enemy's head? I had a random friend in the party last night and I was talking about the Laser leaderboards and who I was about to overtake in the next spot up. He recognized the name...I know this guy as a cheater anyhow but said this guy either told him and had in his file share or maybe it was a you tube vid about how he does this glitch which gives him all these laser kills.

As a legit gamer I think this is crap if its true and a sustaining pillar of my claim on these gamers/groups to be cheaters and the filth of XBL.

anyhow true or not, has anyone heard of this glitch?

'Nam

i dunno if its the same thing but both my gunner and i have been in games where the laser guy (other team) had more than five shots and could fire without charging. A couple of games we went in together and also when playing alone.
i have also had more than five shots myself, Proof, four shots fired and two left in the laser.

i have never been able to fire without charging...
Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil

RJ
Heroic GP
Heroic GP

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:16 pm

oo5 wrote:
i dunno if its the same thing but both my gunner and i have been in games where the laser guy (other team) had more than five shots and could fire without charging. A couple of games we went in together and also when playing alone.
i have also had more than five shots myself, Proof, four shots fired and two left in the laser.

Yes, it is possible to get 6 shots if a blackscreen occurs. I believe it only happens if it is on the ground during blackscreen, but I could be wrong. You can also pick up an empty Laser if it was from pre-blacksreen.

As for firing without charging, I can't see how its possible because its coded onto every disk that thats how the Spartan Laser works. It is possible that in a slightly laggy game or in certain lighting angles, that you won't see the tracer before the shot is fired.

[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

SG NAMLOCO
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder

Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:43 pm

rjesps wrote:
oo5 wrote:

Yes, it is possible to get 6 shots if a blackscreen occurs. I believe it only happens if it is on the ground during blackscreen, but I could be wrong. You can also pick up an empty Laser if it was from pre-blacksreen.

As for firing without charging, I can't see how its possible because its coded onto every disk that thats how the Spartan Laser works. It is possible that in a slightly laggy game or in certain lighting angles, that you won't see the tracer before the shot is fired.

IF YOU DON'T MIND HOW MANY LASER DO YOU HAVE fellow Death by Laser Spartan??? 8)
It says member of the 10,000 laser club, got me interested :D

Nam
ImageImageImage

oo5
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman
Gamertag: oo5

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:23 pm

rjesps wrote:
oo5 wrote:

i was holding the laser at the time, the firing without charging, idk, games were lag free and the shots happened in quick order much like a sniper rifle. There was NOT enough time to charge it, i will check for a saved game, should have one or two. :shrug:
Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil

RJ
Heroic GP
Heroic GP

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:41 pm

SG NAMLOCO wrote:
IF YOU DON'T MIND HOW MANY LASER DO YOU HAVE fellow Death by Laser Spartan??? 8)

Nam

Currently at 10,058.

[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

SG NAMLOCO
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder

Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:17 pm

rjesps wrote:
SG NAMLOCO wrote:

Nam

Currently at 10,058.

NICE..NICE TO MEET FELLOW Laser guy!

Nam
ImageImageImage

Chuckar0o215
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: Chuckar0o215

Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:51 am

Nice Write up RJ ::thumbs::
ImageImage

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM BlacKnight

Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:44 pm

Turn your sensitivity up and whip the laser from right to left or left to right and you will find 4/5 black dots where the laser has hit. It's basically laser spread. If there's a few guys weak beside each other (not behind each other) it's possible to whip the laser as you fire to get both. Not worth trying as the chances are VERY low.

Sig by TuffJuice