Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Van Hengel
Nothing Special
Nothing Special
Gamertag: Van Hengel
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands, Europe (4000 miles East of America)

List of Driver's Tips

Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:55 am

Since I joined H3WM about a month ago I have picked up quite a few useful tips from browsing through these forums. Unfortunately they are scattered over many threads so I decided to put them in a convenient list and post it here. Most of you will know this already but it may be of use to other newcomers like myself. Be sure to comment if you disagree with anything or think somethin is missing!

Using the warthog in Halo 3: Driver’s tips

1. Keep moving and be unpredictable. When you do need to stay in a particular area, for example to allow your gunner to engage a group of enemies nearby, keep twisting and turning and going back and forth to lower the chance of being hit by plasma grenades.

2. Don’t speed past enemies too closely and/or too fast. The turret has a rather low turning rate so to allow your gunner to stay on target when going past an enemy, either go around in a semi-circle or approach it and then back away again. The former is safer than the latter.

3. Don’t drive through groups of enemies. With random groups of enemies the chance of one sticking you is too big to chance a splatter, tempting as it may be. Groups of enemies that are just spawning will only have frag grenades but may still board you. Go around them.

4. Prefer safer areas of the map with enough space to maneuver. For example, don’t go upper keyhole on avalance (and certainly don’t drive trough it), but stay in the open spaces near laser spawn and the bases. Another example: don’t drive between the enemy BR-line and the enemy base on Standoff (enemies coming out the front will have stickies and power drains). Instead go back and forth between their brute shot and their camo or cover the middle if they rush it.

5. Use the Nose Down technique when approaching an enemy hog dead-on. Your hog will dip slightly whereas the enemy hog will be tilted backwards, putting the enemy gunner’s aim off your gunner’s head.

6. When being boarded, use the jack ‘n smack technique: Stop the hog and look right. After you’ve been are pulled out you will still be facing the same direction and you can easily melee the jacker. If your gunner managed to do some damage on him before he pulled you out you may even kill him. Also, if he ends up with his back to you you can assassinate him.

7. Spread the love when under heavy fire (for example from and enemy hornet or hog). By maneuvering the hog so that alternatingly the driver and the gunner are exposed most to the source of the fire, damage can be shared between both instead of just one player.

8. Slow down or drive backwards when a plasma grenade is stuck onto the hog. This is said to more frequently throw your hog in such a way that might be easier to land it than when moving forward.

9. Keep an eye on your teammates’ indicators. The hog is very useful as a support unit and it is a good idea to stay near teammates so as to support them when need be. This is especially true for fights with smaller teams than 8v8.

10. Engage these enemy vehicles with caution if you are one (LAAG) hog without further support: Banshee, Hornet, Chopper and the Scorpion. The first two are usually no problem if your gunner gets to shoot them first, otherwise escape is advisable. It is probably best to avoid the Scorpion altogether.

11. Callouts that are especially important for drivers:
Laser status updates, such as who on your team has it of if the enemy has it, where their laser guy is. If your laser guy is killed, go cover the area until a teammate can come to pick it up. If the enemy has the laser, maybe your teammates can go take it while you stand by in cover.
Enemy movements/spawns, such as from which side the enemy is approaching your base for an attempt at the objective. Whenever groups of enemies are spawning an opportunity for a multikill for your gunner arises.

12. Act as a gunner yourself occasionally. This will give you a better sense of how you can best put your gunner to work. Some areas on the map seem fine to hang around in the eyes of the driver because they are safe but may actually give your gunner a comparatively poor angle for shooting.
Official Resident Physics Expert and Male Model

LouieBlack wrote:
I want to be.. behind him... inside him, If you know what I mean.

Laughlyn
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Laughlyn

Re: List of Driver's Tips

Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:38 pm

this is a great idea and makes Laughlyn happy. great job Van Hengel, i do believe you got most everything. drawn up nicely as well.

::thumbs:: ::thumbs::

Edit ~ this is a good comprehensive list, great quick reference material for members new and old. i'm going to sticky this one.
brickfungus wrote:
we recruit based on personality and not talent (look at laughy)

il Duce
Mythic Wheelman
Mythic Wheelman
Title: Drinking Coach
Gamertag: HWM il Duce

Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:42 pm

Good summary, well done.

::flex::

Penny is wise
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner
Gamertag: Penny is wise

Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:53 pm

Awesome stuff.

OcR LouieBlack
Legendary Wheelman
Legendary Wheelman
Gamertag: OcR LouieBlack

Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:51 pm

me like!!! thanks for the summary writeup... with your permission I'd like to edit ur post to ad links and vids if possible... PAAALEASE! ::panic:: ::bump::
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

OcR Valto
Heroic Gunner
Heroic Gunner
Gamertag: OcR Valto

Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:22 pm

someone should do the same thing but for gunning.........

Van Hengel
Nothing Special
Nothing Special
Gamertag: Van Hengel
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands, Europe (4000 miles East of America)

Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:04 pm

LouieBlack wrote:
me like!!! thanks for the summary writeup... with your permission I'd like to edit ur post to ad links and vids if possible... PAAALEASE! ::panic:: ::bump::

By all means, do it! Should make things a whole lot easier for those new to driving! :D
Official Resident Physics Expert and Male Model

LouieBlack wrote:
I want to be.. behind him... inside him, If you know what I mean.

Laughlyn
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman

Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:27 pm

Valto9 wrote:
someone should do the same thing but for gunning.........

this too would make Laughlyn happy.

any of you gunners reading this? ::poke::
brickfungus wrote:

OcR Valto
Heroic Gunner
Heroic Gunner
Gamertag: OcR Valto

Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:04 pm

well me but I dont know very much about gunning yet I'm trying to find a teacher. but anyways is it a good thing to make laughlyn happy?

Elite C 56
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman
Gamertag: elite c 56

Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:14 pm

i love it but i have one thing to add for even more conveinience <-(spell fail i know)

If your gunner is trying to turn one way but you E-brake the other direction he will spin around much quicker.

just thought this might improve it slightly. Kepp up the good work ::thumbs:: .

Laughlyn
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman

Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:00 pm

all good manuals have to have an acromyn, so we shall keep it simple here...the Wart Hog Operators Manual, or the W.H.O.M. for short. ::cool2::
brickfungus wrote:

Zanqeon
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman
Gamertag: Zanqeon

Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:01 pm

It's way easier to find the tips 'n tricks for drivers now than searching trough the whole forum, so thanks ::thumbs::

I shall also send you a friend invite ( because you're dutch of course ::wink:: )
Wheelman medals: 15.074
Driver of the chainhog killionaire on Sandtrap
It's Zanqeon, not Zanqueon or Zangeon

Frank
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: Frank Reshman

Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:32 am

Great list, but it reminded me of why I never come in this part of the site anymore.

Tips are great, but they aren't for all occasions. For examples, I don't know how many times my Gunner has gotten a quick spree by flanking the enemies Upper Keyhole. If I were to go soley by the tips here, I would never go up there, I would never be in the same place twice, and I would never, ever stop.

The fact of the matter is, using predictable routes is actually good. It makes it that more effective when you don't use it. Going into unknown places is not only the best way to learn how to manuever, but also how far you can push the hog so that you can repeat it on command and live through some wierd stuff. Finally, stopping has saved my life on numerous occasions. If you're going around camo rock and you know people are going to be throwing nades at you, sometimes it's best to stop and let the grenades go flying by, killing them, and then flooring it.

Again, great tips, but as I've said before, I'm not an avid fan of tips. The easiest thing I can compare this to is if somebody wrote the greatest romance novel in the world. It's a great work of art and should be appreciated, but it's just not my cup of tea.

CruelSirMuffin wrote:
if theres a matchmaking god, i will sacrifice BDFreshman at the start of every game to remain lagg free =)

Anonymous

Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:40 am

what i believe freshm,ans point is, is that these are TIPS, not RULES, and should be treated as such

just a forewarning to all newbies

Dthen
Apprentice Wheelman
Apprentice Wheelman
Gamertag: Dthen

Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:00 am

I think that regarding lack of movement, the problem is not with stopping, but with staying still.
1/3 of H3WM.