Jonesy
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: l Jonesy I

Sensitivity regarding the hog

Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:17 pm

Discuss Sensitivity Here: - Bk

Black Knight wrote:
I've tested sensitivity settings in regards to the hog quite a lot and haven't noticed any difference.
If you park the hog and get in the turret and put your sensitivity to 1 and do a few rotations and then change it to 10 there should be a significant difference but it's the same.

The only difference is the vertical sensitivity which is rarely needed in regards to the hog turret. Everything else is the same.

However if you standstill with say a BR and change your sensitivity to 1 and spin then change it to 10 there is a significant difference. Sensitivity setting don't affect any vehicles I believe.

Sorry to join in and ruin your tip, but bk is right. Sensitivity settings in vehicles makes no difference whatsoever.
Don't take life too seriously, or you'll never get out alive

LINK 414
Apprentice GP
Apprentice GP
Gamertag: LINK 414

Re: Devil's Hog Tips (Driver/Gunner)

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:15 pm

I've tested this too but I did notice that I was able to turn faster on a higher sensitivity setting. I didn't keep it that way because like Ice said, once I was on foot I couldn't control my BR like I normally would.

brickfungus wrote:
Rat's Nest-"hot 'hog on 'hog action"

brickfungus butt-stroked LINK 414

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM BlacKnight

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:23 pm

LINK 414 wrote:
I've tested this too but I did notice that I was able to turn faster on a higher sensitivity setting. I didn't keep it that way because like Ice said, once I was on foot I couldn't control my BR like I normally would.

Sorry but it really doesn't. Only the vertical elevation of the turret will change.
It will not increase/decrease the driving of the hog/banshee/any other vehicle.

Sig by TuffJuice

LINK 414
Apprentice GP
Apprentice GP

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:41 pm

Black Knight wrote:
LINK 414 wrote:

Sorry but it really doesn't. Only the vertical elevation of the turret will change.
It will not increase/decrease the driving of the hog/banshee/any other vehicle.

I don't know what to say, but I have been able to turn the turret faster on a higher sensitivity than at the setting I use(3). I've changed sensitivity between games before(to 6 or 7) and after the game I noticed I was able to turn the turret faster against other 'hogs and infantry that were close to use and I was able to get the kill and save us. On the lower sensitivity I couldn't turn fast enough to shoot the other gunner once we passed them and it cost us our 'hog.

brickfungus wrote:

WatchGrassGrow
Apprentice Wheelman
Apprentice Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Grass

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:42 pm

I just wanted to add to the fact that Sensitivity does nothing. I've tested this, because I realized at one point when I was messing around on 7 sensitivity and I got into a Warthog Turret but it was just like any other time I've played.
I'm pretty sure Bungie did that as a balance measure? I'm not too sure.

Other than that though, I did learn a bit, and found this to be very helpful. Thank you.
You just read this incredibly tiny text for no good reason, and have nothing to show for it.

Proud Sponsor Of: M3CH4 N1NJ4, Thee Jazzy

Jonesy
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:43 pm

LINK 414 wrote:
I don't know what to say, but I have been able to turn the turret faster on a higher sensitivity than at the setting I use(3). I've changed sensitivity between games before(to 6 or 7) and after the game I noticed I was able to turn the turret faster against other 'hogs and infantry that were close to use and I was able to get the kill and save us. On the lower sensitivity I couldn't turn fast enough to shoot the other gunner once we passed them and it cost us our 'hog.

Tbh, that's not really "testing."
Testing, would be timing how long it takes to turn on 1 sens. Then timing how long it takes to turn on 10 sens. And seeing if there is a difference.

To save you the time doing this. I can just alert you to the fact that it doesn't make a difference.

LINK 414
Apprentice GP
Apprentice GP

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:51 pm

Jonesy wrote:
LINK 414 wrote:

Tbh, that's not really "testing."
Testing, would be timing how long it takes to turn on 1 sens. Then timing how long it takes to turn on 10 sens. And seeing if there is a difference.

To save you the time doing this. I can just alert you to the fact that it doesn't make a difference.

I would argue that testing differences in sensitivity in an actual match would be better than just sitting on a turret in a custom to see if there is a difference. All I'm saying is that in my experience with using a high sensitivity on the gunner I was able to turn faster and finish the kill and save the 'hog. However, I'm not really advocating that because most people are not used to a high sensitivity setting and anytime you're not sitting on the turret you're screwed. I always use 3 and compensate on the turret by having my driver stay wide and give me a better angle so I don't have to turn the turret as much.

brickfungus wrote:

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:58 pm

LINK 414 wrote:
I would argue that testing differences in sensitivity in an actual match would be better than just sitting on a turret in a custom to see if there is a difference.

Test = Controlled Environment.

However most people know that sensitivity doesn't affect the warthog and multiple people have stated this. I don't think you're going to believe this even if 100 people post that it has no effect. I'm not going to continue back and forward in something that is fact.

Sig by TuffJuice

LINK 414
Apprentice GP
Apprentice GP

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:05 pm

Jonesy wrote:
LINK 414 wrote:
I would argue that testing differences in sensitivity in an actual match would be better than just sitting on a turret in a custom to see if there is a difference. All I'm saying is that in my experience with using a high sensitivity on the gunner I was able to turn faster and finish the kill and save the 'hog. However, I'm not really advocating that because most people are not used to a high sensitivity setting and anytime you're not sitting on the turret you're screwed. I always use 3 and compensate on the turret by having my driver stay wide and give me a better angle so I don't have to turn the turret as much.

::FP::

Okay, I'll explain again. When it comes down to it testing the sensitivity it's better to use it in an actual situation where you're shooting someone and that person is shooting back at you. IN MY EXPERIENCE, which incidentally may be different than YOUR EXPERIENCE, I was able to turn fast enough to kill the other gunner and keep going. I have done this several times by changing sensitivities between matches and on the higher sensitivity I was consistently able to save us where on the lower sensitivity we were killed.

You may be right about that sensitivity doesn't matter, but I'm saying that for me it does. Even if it's just a placebo effect and I think it's helping me when really there is no difference, if I get the kill I'll use it.

brickfungus wrote:

Yozi
Gunner
Gunner
Gamertag: HWM Yozi

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:06 pm

Calm down guys, no need to be narrow minded. The notion of custom games and matchmaking games not being different in terms of hard-coded settings is something most people take for granted. That does not mean it has to be true in every possible case. The burden of proof is on you though, Link.

LINK 414 wrote:
I've changed sensitivity between games before(to 6 or 7) and after the game I noticed I was able to turn the turret faster against other 'hogs and infantry that were close to use and I was able to get the kill and save us. On the lower sensitivity I couldn't turn fast enough to shoot the other gunner once we passed them and it cost us our 'hog.

The reason for you getting this impression might be purely coincidental - that is, it might be due to the driver steering the opposite way that you're turning. It'd be quite the coincidence tho... ::wink::

OH SHEEP DIP
Apprentice Wheelman
Apprentice Wheelman
Gamertag: OH SHEEP DIP

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:08 pm

Black Knight wrote:
LINK 414 wrote:
I would argue that testing differences in sensitivity in an actual match would be better than just sitting on a turret in a custom to see if there is a difference.

Lol ok...
Test = Controlled Environment.

However most people know that sensitivity doesn't affect the warthog and multiple people have stated this. I don't think you're going to believe this even if 100 people post that it has no effect. I'm not going to continue back and forward in something that is fact.

And it seems that the same goes for you in believing this BK. So why argue the point. You feel it does not. Others feel it does. No need in starting a war over opinion.

People, you can take these tips and do what you will with them. Try them out. If they do not work for you then don't use them. It does not justify being a jerk over your opinion on whether or not they work or are effective. The tips were posted to help those that find them useful or to give incentive.

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:14 pm

And it seems that the same goes for you in believing this BK. So why argue the point. You feel it does not. Others feel it does. No need in starting a war over opinion.

I'm saying this more a known fact which has been proven and providing ways for those that aren't sure a way of testing it.
If you want to do this your self the best way is the following,

Go into Forge and place a warthog.
Get into the gunner seat and change your sensitivity to 1. Time a full rotation.
Now change your sensitivity to 10 and time a full rotation.

There is no difference. This is built into the game mechanics of the game.
Now if you did the same while standing still while you're not in a vehicle there is a significant difference.

Sig by TuffJuice

Turtle
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Turtle

Re: Sensitivity regarding the hog

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:28 pm

Addressing comments in the other thread;

Bit of common sense failure here. You can't control your BR because 1; you don't ever use high sensitivity, 2 you may (or may not) be terrible with a BR, 3; The gun of a hog has a set turn rate, just like you have a default turn rate, except this one cannot be changed.

It's pointless to argue facts. I play on 8 consistently, Gun, and on foot, and there is no difference between 8 and 3 sensitivity, driving, gunning, or flying.

'Some feel it does work'

Well, they can 'feel' it all they want, just how Obi-wan can 'feel' the force, Doesn't negate that it's a fact.
3/3 of The Soul-Stealing Trifecta
An A10 Pilot wrote:
i will take this fish and please myself with it

HWM Valkyrion wrote:
TO BOLDLY TROLL WHERE NO TURTLE HAS TROLLED BEFORE

Jonesy
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:38 pm

LINK 414 wrote:
Okay, I'll explain again. When it comes down to it testing the sensitivity it's better to use it in an actual situation where you're shooting someone and that person is shooting back at you. IN MY EXPERIENCE, which incidentally may be different than YOUR EXPERIENCE, I was able to turn fast enough to kill the other gunner and keep going. I have done this several times by changing sensitivities between matches and on the higher sensitivity I was consistently able to save us where on the lower sensitivity we were killed.

You may be right about that sensitivity doesn't matter, but I'm saying that for me it does. Even if it's just a placebo effect and I think it's helping me when really there is no difference, if I get the kill I'll use it.

What i got from this post:

You played a game on a low sensitivity, you were out gunned or killed in some way.
Then you played a game on a high sensitivity, and you managed to out-gun or kill a threat.

And your conclusion from this "test" was that the sensitivity you were on was the deciding factor. Obviously not the dozens of other active factors that are present. The same factors which are not present in an actual "test" scenario we outlined.

il Duce
Mythic Wheelman
Mythic Wheelman
Title: Drinking Coach
Gamertag: HWM il Duce

Re: Sensitivity regarding the hog

Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:26 pm

I already locked up TWO flamewars today! If you guys get to 3 strikes you're gonna see duce rage!

Bungie has graciously added this newfangled "theater" mode to Halo 3 (must've been patched in, I sure never heard of it before). How about instead of arguing about what can and cannot be done in a "test" environment or in matchmaking, both sides of this argument get some videos supporting their claims.

If you can render said videos that would be fantastic. If not, simply put up your fileshare link and someone with a cap card will happily get that converted for you.

PLAY NICE!