Get in the Hog if you want to live!

~Loki~
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner
Gamertag: Loki Kola

Ascension Remake

Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:55 pm

Could people please post their opinions about Ascension, the map from Halo 2 Multiplayer, here? As some of you probably know by now, I'm going to try and remake Ascension using Sandbox; only, I'm going to try and reconfigure it so it's better for BTB situations. I though I should probably start a new topic, as this only very loosely relates to Sandbox. This forum also seems the most appropriate, because the map/gametypes one is only for already-made maps.

So please, post any grievances you had with the original, suggestions on improvements that could be made, ideas about what vehicles, weapons, and equipment I should be using, etc. To see Ascension in Halo 3 has always been a dream of mine, and I need your help to fully realise this dream.

I should probably start off, here. First of all, this map will not be as asymetrical as the original was. Second of all, it's goind to be geared mostly for aerial combat. Which means that each team will probably have a Banshee and a Transport Hornet, alongside two Mongooses. That said, I may look at adding a standard LAAG Warthog as balance requires; in fact, I'm already looking at it, right now. I'll just have to wait until I get the map to figure it all out.

That said, there are some things I'm hoping to do with this map. For instance, it's going to be far more... for lack of a better term, three-dimensional, than other Halo 3 maps thus far. That is, there will be the default playing field, on top of the map, but there will also be another field beneath it. Meaning, while the Mongooses, and Warthogs if I implement them, will spawn ready to drive towards the central dish, the Banshee and Hornet will spawn in a hangar at the bottom of the base. From there, they can choose to fly up and into the top level, or down underneath the main structure for dog fights.

That said, Warthogs and Mongooses will still be able to get down here, but air vehicles will definitely be in their element; while both parties will be able to utilise cover, Warthogs and Mongooses will likely flip off the edge, if they get hit with explosives. Think of driving down here as like driving around Rocket Spawn on Rat's Nest. Dangerous, but you can pull it off, and you can get to relative safety fairly quickly.

There will be "Tower of Power" on this map, too. Except, I'll be fixing it up, a bit. There'll be a Man Turret, standard, in each tower on this map. In the "Tower of Power" version, though, it'll be a Warthog rendered immobile and unusable, with except for the rear turret. It won't be indestrucible, but it will have a fast respawn. Oh, and access to one tower will be blocked.

Also, I appreciate the help offers from Zer0 Vis, Black Knight, and more recently, WakkaWakka; I'm an ideas man, and getting these ideas to be a reality could have been difficult without you guys. Discussion can begin now, if you please.

EDIT: Acknowledged WakkaWakka's help off. And posted links to screenshots of the pityful amount of work I've done so far...

From red base to centre dish. Note that the temple you see there is the largest single play area on the bottom level, whereas the top will have quite a lot of space.
Centre dish prong one. Like Ascension in Halo 2, you can climb up onto this and snipe. But don't expect a lot of cover. Or, any.
Bottom Dish. It's really more of a temple than a dish, but still. This is mainly for pedestrians. Vehicles can get here, but there isn't much turning space for a 'Hog.
Bottom of centre prong. Here you can see what I want the bottom to look like. But, I can't quite get it done, because all the damn blocks on Sandbox are uneven, so it's pretty hard to get it straight...
Last edited by ~Loki~ on Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If you're going to masturbate, please don't do it verbally.

Imt: A very rare species of sea creature, that tends to live on peoples faces. The only living one at the moment is currently occuping houdini's face.

TuffJuice
Heroic Ground Pounder
Heroic Ground Pounder

Re: Ascension Remake

Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:54 am

As discussed in the shoutbox, sounds really cool. I look forwarding to see the creation. The one thing I'd recommend is getting some the catwalks out in the middle spaced just far enough in different parts to allow crouch jumping. Basically people should be willing to take the risk to cut time on their route by making perfect jumps, but if they don't make it fall to their death somehow.
Message me for Custom Sigs

Penny is wise
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner
Gamertag: Penny is wise

Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:35 am

The only problem I had with Ascension was the Super jumps and the spawns and the speed on the Rockets lol. Everything else I loved.

~Loki~
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner

Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:58 pm

Yeah, people will be able to take jumps across the roads underneath the main level, and there will also be some pedestrian-only paths, and maybe a mancannon or two. In fact, there will be part where Warthogs get to use these jumps. Do it right, and be rewarded. Wrong, and you die.

Also, I don't know if there will be any rockets on this level, Zer0, but there will be a laser where the Rocket originally spawned. Might be Missle Pods, too.

Imt: A very rare species of sea creature, that tends to live on peoples faces. The only living one at the moment is currently occuping houdini's face.

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM BlacKnight

Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:03 pm

This would be the perfect map for the sky bubble.
The first place to start would be a dot for the centre for the dish, a point to use as a refference for all other placements of objects.
I think if we start here we can work are way to that flat piece of terrian were the small sniper tower is located then interlock everything between this and the dish.
Making the banshee pad would also extend from the dish as its flat this shouldnt be too hard.
Same for the the ramp which leads up to the tower of power.

However as most of the walkways and especially the rocket spawn area Elevation is going to be difficult to work around.

I will be personally trying to build relic on Sandbox.

Sig by TuffJuice

~Loki~
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner

Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:17 pm

Yes. I'm using a Killball to mark the exact centre of the map, at the moment; though it's on the very bottom of why will be the bottom level. It will, however, serve a very important purpose. Two, actually. It serves as great ornamentation, and it also lets people know where it's safe to fly. Because, if they go below it, they're dead.

I'm trying to work on the base/sniper towers (or one of them) first. Because I need to build a hangar at the bottom of them. Also, there will be no neutral Banshee on this map. There will be a neutral Ghost. Each team has their own Banshee.

~Loki~
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner

Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:44 am

Just an update.

I'm far busier now than I was when I posted this. It doesn't mean I won't get this map done; it just means that I'll have to work on it whenever I can squeeze it in. At the moment, I'm working on the dish/central structure of the map. Only, on this map, it will be a temple, and as already explained, there will be a lower level to it.

The lower level has four paths in and out; wide enough for a Warthog to run along. The center of the temple will be wide enough for a Warthog to turn on, for hasty retreats, etc. There will be cover in the temple, though at this point it isn't really traditional cover; not the type you hide behind, anyway. It's more, the advantage of low ground. That is, you're in a position where Warthog's can't hit you because you're too low, and you're also shielded from direct fire. Frag grenades will bounce right over you, and fall off the edge of the map.

You will, however, be in a position to attack enemy vehicles without fear of retaliation, except from passengers. Please post what you think of this, right here.

Houdini
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HouAmI

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:10 am

i can't wait to see what your up too, and if you can, could you take some pics of the map, for myself and the rest of the community to see what the progress is? post them here and i'll check them out when there here. i can't wait ::panic::.
MIA 2010 Spartans Never Die
BerserkerBarage
Ice Devil 13

~Loki~
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner

Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:04 pm

I'll see if I can post some screenshots if I come to your place this weekend. Otherwise, my 360 is going to remain packed away until I finish university for this semester.

Houdini
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:07 am

::lol:: well i still can't wait.
BerserkerBarage
Ice Devil 13

~Loki~
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner

Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:06 am

Why are you laughing? I packed it away myself so I wouldn't get distracted so easily. You know my parents would be too scared of me to take it off my themselves.

Houdini
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder

Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:16 am

now may i ::lol::
BerserkerBarage
Ice Devil 13

~Loki~
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:25 pm

I guess you could laugh, though it doesn't make any sense... Also, just remembered, the centre structure on this map is nearly finished. And I've got two copies of it saved, just to make sure something nasty doesn't happen.

~Loki~
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner

Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:26 pm

Edited original post with screens. :)

Sasquatch 45
Apprentice Wheelman
Apprentice Wheelman
Gamertag: LZ Sasquatch

Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:19 pm

hows the progress going with this, im really looking forward to the finish of it.