Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Flying Shoe ILR
Apprentice GP
Apprentice GP
Gamertag: Flying Shoe ILR

Meteora

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:01 pm

Back in July of 2011, FlyingShoeILR and myself began discussing plans to construct an invasion map. We took it upon ourselves to learn the ways of invasion, which was no small task.

We played invasion in matchmaking for hours, and began conceptualizing our map. The first concept; aptly named “Concept” was a very, very long way from what you can see in this thread. We went through likely hundreds of concepts, (Conecept, Pyramidcept, Bananacept, Llamacept, Ray Panamalscept, Chroncept, Undetected, Hamstercept, HappySadPandaMuffincept, and BananaToiletcept, to name a few).

Once we started talking to the Halo Wheelmen and a few others like Oakley Hidef, Ablesir Thomas, and Yardbird92, things really picked up. Still, we wanted to ensure
that our map was unique and of the highest quality.

Finally Shoe and I were done building concepts, and we started building Meteora some time in February. Now we just need to test the hell out of this thing...

FlyingShoeILR wrote:
Meteora follows the standard invasion format of territories-territories-core, but does a lot different as well. Most of the map is built out over the sandbar coming off the edge of Alaska and so features a lot of room for aerial gameplay. Meteora also features a spartan offense, something rare amongst MM standardized invasion maps.

I could probably do with a better signature.

Psychoduck
Wheelman
Wheelman
Gamertag: The Psycho Duck

Re: Meteora

Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:51 pm

Derp, the quotes in the post appear to have been screwed up.

il Duce
Mythic Wheelman
Mythic Wheelman
Title: Drinking Coach
Gamertag: HWM il Duce

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:44 pm

Fix'd...

With Super NINJA POWER!!

RJ
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM RJ

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Whoa, back up. Duce posted in an invasion related thread?!?!

On a related note, I can't review it because I'm heading back to school, but I'm sure some others will be by shortly to give'r a looksee. From the pictures it looks like a lot of pieces and I gather you'll probably run into some framerate/discoing issues, so piece reduction will probably be your focus if the gameplay is solid.

Good Luck!
1/3 of the HWM U-Haul Trifecta

[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Luv Gunn
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Luv Gunn

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:05 pm

I really like the width of the map. Thats something that a lot of Forged Invasion maps lack. As RJ said this leads to a LOT of objects and budget but the map could stand to be shrunken in lengthwise... that could help. Especially with the explosions and flying vehicles the frame rate was evident.

I haven't given this map the attention it deserves, mostly because of all the other good maps out there we've been fine tuning, but its a solid map made by knowledgeable forgers the only thing it needs is a little tweaking.

The death pit is really cool but since it takes away a lot of the width you might need to scrap it. Its the dilemma that Invasion Forgers must face, Great gameplay or Great map? You can't have both but there is a mid point where you can compromise. You're map, however, is pretty distinct so I don't know if there would be a good way to shrink it down and make it playable in splitscreen (which is what we've been working towards with our Invasion maps) without taking away a lot of what makes it unique. Structures like the mid-line Platform XLs and the large panels made of Coli Walls work great to block aerial LoS but don't help with budget, same with the death pit.

Flying Shoe ILR
Apprentice GP
Apprentice GP
Gamertag: Flying Shoe ILR

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:02 pm

Thanks Luv Gunn. We are planning some changes to deal with framerate, the feel of the map, and some gameplay aspects I have found unfavorable. If the pit has to go it will, though right now we are keeping it as if much more gets scrapped we will lose the rooftop feel entirely. Still, Framerate and gameplay come first in the end I guess.

We need to get more Wheelmen in our tests too. Other players forget to tell us what is wrong afterward. :D See you around.
I could probably do with a better signature.