Get in the Hog if you want to live!

MrGreenWithAGun
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman
Gamertag: MrGreenWithAGun

Invasion: Mainframe (Tempest)

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:39 am

Map: Mainframe (version E)
Description: Elites move from beach to the large structure holding the main frame to extract the spartan core.
Forger: MrGreenWithAGun

Story: The Elites had nothing else to do as they were flying around the neighborhood, so they decided to steal the Spartan core from a communications outpost.

Mission:

Standard invasion loadouts.

Photo Album

Videos of the map

UPDATE:

After playing this once, I have received several comments. First, someone noted that a defender could stand in the middle between the two Tier 1 Objectives, and while he could not see most of either, he could chuck grenades into either Objective, essentially defending either one from one location. It seems that it would only be significant if the defender had a lot of grenades to throw, which he would not. And in a way this problem is not as pronounced as Boneyard Tier 2 where you can shoot a DMR down the hall at Bravo while keeping a close watch on Alpha. If anyone thinks this is more of an issue than I understand, please explain further.

The second was that the defenders could take up a position on the mountain on the invader side as they tend to do in BTB. It never occurred to me that the invaders would trek all the way to the invaders' spawn to begin a trek up the mountain, all the while abandoning their Objective. However, the next version will have a soft kill boundary covering that entire mountain from, say, 2 or 3 units up off the ground level at the center of the map, and the zone will gate away by Tier 3 so that the Banshee can fly the air space without any notice of the zone being present.

The third was that I supply human turrets at the two Objective Sites for Tier 1 and this is a bit more fire power for the Defenders than I should make available. I feel that their presence tremendously adds to the aesthetics of the bunkers (so that it is obvious what they are and why they are Objectives) and they do not (or should not) respawn during the game at all. If I have to balance their power out, I could remove the DMRs, or I could add an additional needle rifle or two for the Elites to use in Tier 1. I would like to get more feedback before I think about removing the turrets.

Updated to version E:

Kill zones around the mountain where the Elites spawn.
Detailed the aesthetics at Tier 2 Bravo
Set turrets to not respawn
Last edited by MrGreenWithAGun on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrGreenWithAGun
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman

Re: Invasion: Mainframe (Tempest)

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Map updated to version E, changes listed above, new pics showing Tier 2 objectives better than before.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Beyond the fact that the territory sirens are constantly going off, this map plays too much like typical Tempest at Tier 1. Spartans could very easily push forward into the Elite spawns and trap them there, leaving one or two guys behind to cover the territories. It just feels like territories on Tempest. Additionally, the Tier 1 Spartan spawns are so far away that if they lose a fight, they are almost too far away to prevent a cap. I think there's also a shotgun at tier 1? That just won't do.

For tiers 2 and 3, the base has a disorienting design that also doesn't encourage the Spartans to push forward very much. The territories are also on two different level that makes it hard to travel between them. You just feel trapped as a Spartan into your own base.

Most of this is moot, though. Tempest itself is broken. I'm sorry, but broken territory sirens will not cut it for Matchmaking.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

MrGreenWithAGun
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman

Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:24 pm

This is the kind of feedback I could use in learning to forge invasion better. I know the sirens are broken, but your comments about the structure are useful.

Luv Gunn
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Luv Gunn

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:14 am

Mainframe (Tempest)
Spawn (Bravo, Mid, Alpha):
Bravo (Attacker)

Tier 1
Describe the pathing you used on the map to advance and/or defend to the territory or territories.
As an elite I traveled through the back cave towards the downed Saber into the water and around the majority of the map
Which territory did you find most vulnerable and why?
I never made it to Alpha.

If your spawn had a DMR/Needle Rifle, how did you use it?
I don't remember.

Describe the setup used, if any, to take/defend the territory or territories.
I continued to flank the map until I was behind the territory and, since I was an elite, I easily hopped up onto the large rock overlooking the territory. Though it was not initially successful it did work as distraction allowing others to capture (though which territory I'm not sure)

Tier 2
Which power weapon (if any) spawned near you? How did you use it?
The Focus Rifle spawned near me but It was hard to put it to use since both territories were indoors... As usual I was the distraction.

Which territory did you feel more inclined to attack and why?
Bravo, though I never made it in to Alpha.

Describe the power positions, if any, you noticed for the defenders.
The Spartans spawned high near bravo but it was relatively exposed so it wasn't TOO powerful

Describe the vehicle gameplay you noticed for tier 2.
Did not notice much... it seemed our T2 ended very quickly.

Tier 3
Did any new power weapons spawn near you? How did you use them?

Did you find the core easy to attack/defend? If so, why?
No, when I wasn't stealing the elites Banshee I was mostly dead since the elite's Wraith was hovering over my spawn out near the water. I think we did the same thing as elites to try to get cover from the scorpion behind the large rock that is supposed to protect the spartans on spawn from elite fire coming from the center of the map.

Describe the setups used to attack/defend the core.
The Wraith really has only one way to the core/core cap and thats the main way the elites will be taking the core. I would think that once the core is out even a little that the game will be EXTREMELY difficult for the spartans given that the wraith can simply push up past the core and, if nothing else, clog up the spartans vehicle bay/give the elites a huge purple vehicle to hide behind.

Describe the vehicle gameplay for tier 3.
I jacked the banshee and the tanks never lasted long... I didn't "Do" much with the banshee but I kept the elites distracted like a Boss.

Miscellaneous
Did you enjoy the map? Explain why or why not.
No, the sirens where annoying, so much so that I just shut the sound off. This isn't really an issue since Invasion is pretty straightforward. Its not like a 1v1 where sound plays a HUGE role. The gameplay was frustrating but thats probably just because Tempest isn't made for Invasion and it was the first time playing the map.

Did you notice a theme/location to the map? If so, what did you think it was/
The 1st phase hills were sunken in... I figured this meant something but I wasn't sure what because from the attackers point of view it just looks like a wall, a high hard to get around wall. The rest of map simply looked to be attached to the existing Forerunner structures of Tempest so I assume they were fore runner.

Provide any addition feedback you may have here.
You know already,but I'll say again, the sirens are bad and broke this canvas before you ever started building. We just have one playthrough on the map, I think with more we will find many many ways to break it whether thats spawn killing, abusing kill zones, jet packing or skill evades its only a matter of time.

MrGreenWithAGun
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:51 pm

The 1st phase hills were sunken in... I figured this meant something but I wasn't sure what because from the attackers point of view it just looks like a wall, a high hard to get around wall.

I went to a lot of trouble to make the walls look like bunkers with sand bags and turrets. And it didn't work?? It didn't look like a bunker?

THIS breaks my heart... lol...