Get in the Hog if you want to live!

RJ
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM RJ

Forge Rainbow

Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:18 pm

BK and I found this when screwing around on my map a while back. Those are all the same piece, of structure, but rotated at different angles and merged with certain other objects. I think this phenomenon occurs based on the lighting on the center of mass of the object. So if the center of mass is located inside of a large rock, like the ones on the right, then the game thinks the object is shrouded in darkness, so the object is black. The light grey objects might protrude into the light area of the cave that runs through the middle, so it appears very bright. The reddish/brown piece is influenced by the light sphere surrounding the brown tree, so it takes on the lighting traits of the tree. The same goes for the green piece.
1/3 of the HWM U-Haul Trifecta

[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Yozi
Gunner
Gunner
Gamertag: HWM Yozi

Re: Forge Rainbow

Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:59 am

This can really mess up the look of things. I know BK had some huge problems when building his Alectrona map. Your thesis sounds reasonable, but there's also the fact that the sun on forge world is the only light source (the light bulbs don't count), so it's mostly only a problem when you're 'working in the shade', so to speak.

OP title made me think of the rainbow stairs on Dreamed btw. (: