Get in the Hog if you want to live!

What do you think of Auto Sentry Spamming?

Legit Tactic
9 (90%)
Useful for Trolling
1 (10%)
Broken (needs patched)
No votes

Total votes: 10

Luv Gunn
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Luv Gunn

How To: Auto Sentry Turrets and YOU.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:34 pm

So the Auto Sentry Turret alone is a very weak Armor Ability but when used together it is a VERY helpful tool that can be used to control routes of travel and positions of power. It also can affect the Aim Assist of the enemy as well as distracting them and forcing them to use up valuable ammo destroying the turret.

Lastly, and most importantly, the turret does real damage to the enemy. Its not a lot but this, in conjunction with the above means that its one hell of an AA, especially when used in tandem with other turrets.

Tell me what you think of this. It can be countered with Holograms, Invis, destruction of the turret, and pulse grenades (when used effectively).

UPDATE: FULL GAMEPLAY VIDEO HERE

Warning: This Video Contains 5 Rage Quits
Last edited by Luv Gunn on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Laughlyn
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Laughlyn

Re: How To: Auto Sentry Turrets and YOU.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:19 pm

Vid shows to be set to private for me gunn. Get it fixed and we can delete my post. Not going to lock it in case anyone else has any input on this. I currently have none as I have not used the turret - tho duce keeps trying to get an entire team running it... now THAT may be interesting...
brickfungus wrote:
we recruit based on personality and not talent (look at laughy)

Bloody Initiate
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner
Gamertag: Bloody Initiate

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:49 pm

Private for me too.

I would be up for running a team of auto turrets, you'd want to do it in an objective gametype like KotH or Regicide where you know what the enemy needs to win and can therefore plant your turrets accordingly. Could even be funny in CTF, all 5 players spawn autosentries right off spawn and then hide with Wetwork.

I especially like the idea because I presently think the ability is nearly useless, and I hate feeling like that about aspects of the game. I much prefer to believe they did a good job of giving everything purpose and valuable function.

I also think a whole team running auto sentries AND controlling a certain point on the map (Would also have to be a smaller map btw, small map objective or else you'll never get anywhere) could actually defend that point insanely well. The trouble is making sure they need that point, and also making sure it's enough of a chokepoint that you can get your teamshot working with the sentries. The trouble is I don't know of anything like that in the game except the insides of bases on BTB maps.
^ Credits to Mics R4 Chumps

Deadpool MF
Gunner
Gunner
Gamertag: Deadpool MF

Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:01 am

Bloody Initiate wrote:
I also think a whole team running auto sentries AND controlling a certain point on the map (Would also have to be a smaller map btw, small map objective or else you'll never get anywhere) could actually defend that point insanely well.

Holy Crap, If Red TEAM on Exile BTB got everyone running the auto sentry and stood around that corner on the other side of the tank spawn cliff.

I've already seen the red team sit and run the game from that point without turrets... But those turrets can really dammage vehicles if I remember correctly... If you had the team working together, you could probably take out their tanks and gauss hogs quickly enough that they wouldn't be able to make you run the offensive...

OboeCrazy
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: OboeCrazy

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:21 am

I've found it really useful not just as a whole team on small maps (oddball wins thanks to holding corners with 4 auto sentries!) but even on larger maps where I'm holding an area because I'm on defense. I've created a grenadier type class and the auto sentry is my backup, being the early warning system.

Not useful at all running offense as you have to be too mobile for the turret to be effective as it doesn't move. But if you're holding an area it's not a bad thing to have.
This sig available for rent.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:59 am

I agree with Oboe. I tend to leave my turret in an area near me when I'm not moving a lot and use it as a way to teamshoot an enemy. Just yesterday, I used the turret when I was taking cover behind a rock to force the guy looking at me to back down. I then popped out of cover and finished him off. The shots are about as strong as a DMR bullet to shields, so it's an effective way to help you deal with an enemy, especially just to warn you when something is happening near you.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Luv Gunn
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Luv Gunn

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:28 am

The video us public now, sorry about that.

I've uploaded the full game that little clip came from to show just how effective they REALLY are and I've got a couple of Team Regicides as well. When they are published I'll add them to the OP. I think the Turret could be effective in Dominion as a Base Defense tool. Nothing too grand but just another layer of defense to slow the enemy, annoy them, give away their position, etc.

I use the Auto Turret in CTF/oddball to block a path. I am free to roam on one side while my turret watches my back. Its VERY useful as an awareness tool. After the Turret has been placed the AA gauge slowly decreases in a very steady and predictable manor however the AA gauge will drop incrementally when the turret does damage. It will also reset when the turret is destroyed. By setting the turret in a hall or doorway I can know, even if I'm out of Radar Range, that someone is approaching and if they have taken any damage.

hel monkey
Heroic Gunner
Heroic Gunner
Gamertag: HWM Hel Monkey

Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:30 pm

I wish that you could jump and deploy the turret up higher in the air. Turrets up closer to the ceiling on adrift would be hella annoying.

Also I wonder if you can spawn them one on top of the other so it looks like one turret but it has super damage. Just silly thoughts.

TyphorX
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: TyphorX

Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:44 am

hel monkey wrote:
I wish that you could jump and deploy the turret up higher in the air. Turrets up closer to the ceiling on adrift would be hella annoying.

Also I wonder if you can spawn them one on top of the other so it looks like one turret but it has super damage. Just silly thoughts.

Maybe you could jump on top of a hog or mongoose, or ontop of someone's head, and deploy it from there. Should give it the height advantage.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:27 am

I have a clip to post later of a triple I almost managed to pull off with just grenades, my turret, and a DMR. It can be used very well if you find yourself in a sudden bottleneck without teammates.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Deaf Smith
Master Wheelman
Master Wheelman
Gamertag: XDG Deaf Smith

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:24 am

I'vebeen using the sentry lately. Haven't got a chance to team up a couple sentries yet though.

Got a sentry kill yesteray. Kind of shocking , but given the position I had put it in.. Not so surprising..
I put it in a position where it would force the enemy to fight on two fronts.
#MemorialHogOff
http://twitter.com/#!/halowheelmen
Thanks to HAUT MEDOC for Twitter sig #HAWT