Spoiler: show
YOU CAN'T BAN WHAT DOESN'T EXISTS!!

Mallets
Apprentice GP
Apprentice GP
Gamertag: HWM Mallets

Re: BTB is Fun Again

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:07 am

This thread has me really excited to pick up and start playing Halo 4. Sounds like it will be a much better time than reach was. :3
ConsumedFever wrote:
"ive got dick fever"

A Unholy Turtle wrote:
Side effects of Kool-Aid include: rape.

Bloody Initiate
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner
Gamertag: Bloody Initiate

Re: BTB is Fun Again

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:53 am

Mallets wrote:
This thread has me really excited to pick up and start playing Halo 4. Sounds like it will be a much better time than reach was. :3

Reach BTB, for me, was a long taunt to the people who didn't get in a tank, banshee, or sniper rifle. There was NOTHING in those games for anyone who didn't get a power weapon or a power vehicle. As least in Paradiso you could occasionaly get lost in the rocks and have a fight with your DMR, but typically one sweep with a banshee and nothing in the rocks would survive. There was also the Revenant, which could sort of run away from the other vehicles and have a good time occasionally harrassing foot soldiers or a hog.

I understand that the laser was waaay too important in Halo 3, but at least ground pounders had a job in that game. In Reach their job was to race each other to the sniper rifle and then for everyone who didn't get one to cry.

Now in Halo 4 BTB, when I'm playing well, I feel dangerous in any role I play. I've completely suppressed the hill in Ragnarok with just myself and my DMR, against what I believe were better players. I didn't get many kills, but they couldn't peak and acquire me fast enough to defend themselves so I kept their heads down. The Gauss is still brilliant (It remained amazing in Reach actually, I would get in the Gauss in the Spire Heavies map and just sit stationary picking people off), and the tanks still do well - although the Wraith is way more limp-wristed with its firing arc than ever, I still jumped in a burning wraith and managed to pull out a killing frenzy before dying.

At the same time the laser does well, and there are three different kinds of sniper rifles, it's just a more exciting world for people who don't spawn close to the vehicles. It is a little frustrating how much the BTB maps in Halo 4 are geared to ground pounding sometimes (Vortex = worthless for everything), but it's easier to appreciate when there aren't any vehicles you'd want anyway. Ghosts just get ripped apart by fire from a single DMR, and without a good team you generally don't get far in a hog. That's a shame, but at least you don't have to be in a hog to have any chance of fun. I miss running vehicles, but I'm glad that when I choose to let someone else have the vehicles I won't be completely bored for the entire match.

The banshee is still a floating rocket launcher, but it's not invincible anymore and in fact it's so easy to board that people from other games of BTB where you aren't even playing will just suddenly gain skyjack medals while you die instantly(/exaggeration).

Through it all there is the sense that if I play well, if my team and I work together, we can make any of it work. That wasn't the case in Reach, the guys in the tanks, banshee, and with the sniper rifle didn't need their team and in fact they were better off without you feeding kills to the enemy's tank, banshee, and sniper rifle. That was awful. In Halo 4 there's a chance for something better.
^ Credits to Mics R4 Chumps