Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Muffin
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Muffin

Overwatch Thursdays

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:18 pm

Overwatch is a game that myself and a few others like to play, but it is best enjoyed as a team. So, we made an event to try and rally as big a group as possible! Newcomers are also more than welcome, as this will be an extra casual lobby.

CINCO
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: HWM Cinco

Re: Overwatch Thursdays

Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:25 pm

Watched you stream this last week, I don't have the game and don't seem to understand it at all
[redacted]

Muffin
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Muffin

Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:49 pm

Basically, there are 4 types of heros. Attack, Defense, Tank and Support. Your Attack/Defense heroes are both essentially DPS (damage per second) characters, but they are useful at different times. Tanks have high health and can take a lot of damage. Support consists mostly of healers.

Basic idea is that there are a great many characters in these categories, each with their own particular abilities. For example. Reinhardt and Roadhog are both tanks, but Reinhardt has the ability to project a wide shield that blocks a majority of damage, but his only way of attacking is by swinging his massive hammer, and once every 10 seconds or so, firing a large, slow moving projectile called flamestrike. Roadhog does not have a shield, but instead has a high self healing ability. He also has a hook which he can use to catch players, draw them into him and finish them off with his shotgun.

There is somewhat of a rock paper scissors element to the game, because certain characters can counter others very well. For example, Pharah is a flying character, so if you only have characters who do well in close quarters, she has an advantage over you if she plays you at range. To counter this, you may choose a character who can shoot at range. But its not just as cut and dry as "this character exits, so I will now choose this character to beat them". If the Pharah gets a jump on your ranged character, or one of Pharah's teammates does the same, and kills them, then she has free reign of the skies.

I compare a lot of this game to football and matchups. You try to force mismatches, like scheming so that a linebacker needs to take on a receiver downfield. Similarly, you take advantage of weaknesses like sending your linebacker through a receiver when they're trying to block. But at the end of the day, if the linebacker is good enough to cover the receiver, or the receiver is enough of a beast to block the linebacker, then that's a problem the other team still needs to solve. Also, a lot of the strategy relys on setting up at chokepoints, creating an eerily similar effect to a line of scrimmage, where big meaty tanks battle it out on the line, your healers are quarterbacking from the back lines, and there are flankers on the outside looking to make big plays.

Also, to discourage teams from constantly being in flux, each charcter has an "Ultimate" that gains charge based on game performance (getting kills, dealing damage, healing teammates, etc). These ultimates are typically very powerful and range from giving your team the ability to see players through walls, to giving a single player auto aim for a short period of time, to providing extra shields for nearby teammates for a short amount of time, to setting up a teleporter for teammates to use off respawn.

I'm playing today, and if you let me know you're watching I'll totally answer your questions as they come up!

Biggles
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM TheBigL

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:16 pm

Got the game last week but have yet to play it. Seems like this would be a good intro lobby for me. Hopefully I'll be able to get on tonight. Marking myself as a maybe.

il Duce
Mythic Wheelman
Mythic Wheelman
Title: Drinking Coach
Gamertag: HWM il Duce

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:23 pm

holy shit I've been so out of the loop that I totally missed this. I'll try to get it and make myself available in the next few weeks. tonight is busy though :(

CINCO
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: HWM Cinco

Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:26 pm

Thanks for that explanation muffin. I actually understand it a lot more now. If you're playing at 11est tonight I may watch for a bit.
[redacted]