Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Zyzzyva
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: Xyzzva

Anyone else exited for Stockpile?

Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:46 pm

For those of you who don't know, Stockpile will be a new team gametype featured in the Reach Beta. Each team has their own capture zone and fights over four neutral flags. All flags in your capture zone give you one point each every 60 seconds. The game is over when one team scores 10 points, or after 10 minutes.

I have heard very little interest in this gametype from the community, if you look at the current Bungie.net poll (Which gametype gets you most hyped?), Stockpile is in dead last with, as of this writing, a measly 4%.

Personally, I think that Stockpile would not only be fun in smaller, 4v4 games, but would really be a blast for big team games. Imagine the chaos as both teams race around in hogs trying to pick up flag carriers before the timer runs out. Does anyone agree with me on this, or will stockpile be destined to be played only once in a blue moon?

DOM
Legendary Gunner
Legendary Gunner
Gamertag: HWM DOMIN8

Re: Anyone else exited for Stockpile?

Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:55 pm

I think stockpile sounds interesting. Definitely a change of pace from normal CTF. I think if its playable as a BTB gametype it will be more fun. Personally I'm interested in playing Headhunter. That may be the first thing in a while that has me interested in FFA.
Retired Admin (even though current "leadership" doesn't acknowledge it.)

BUfels
Gamertag: BUfels

Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:59 pm

It does sound really good.

From the cradle to the grave, it has been a walk of shame.

Jaime Lannister and La Dispute fanboy.

Yozi
Gunner
Gunner
Gamertag: HWM Yozi

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:25 pm

I can understand why it's being so overshadowed by Invasion. It's a mix of things seen before in Halo games. Invasion simply seems brand new in ways Stockpile doesn't. I think the way Bungie presented the gametypes - revealing Invasion last - might've reinforced this perception, too.

That said, I'm excited about it because... well, it's an objective gametype. ::roll:: The scoring happening only at certain moments sounds particularly interesting.

Capt Fiddler
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner
Gamertag: Capt Fiddler

Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:57 am

I think it will be very interesting. I'm most excited about the flow of intensity around scoring times; when people madly rush to defend their own zone and get the opponents' flags out of theirs.

Should be a good test in team communication
I buy books like some people buy shoes.

wafflynumber
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman
Gamertag: Wafflynumber

Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:13 am

The only reason that its last is because its to confusing for the majority of halos population, i.e people who think fat kid is the best thing sliced bread.
You touch this sig again duce and I take your cat!

crunchUK
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: a3ec

Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:06 am

wafflynumber wrote:
The only reason that its last is because its to confusing for the majority of halos population, i.e people who think fat kid is the best thing sliced bread.

Bingo. I sure hope small scale objective gets a boost in fanbase though, TO was so awesome.

H3WM alistaro
Apprentice GP
Apprentice GP
Gamertag: H3WM alistaro

Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:56 pm

Im surprised few are looking forward to generator defence. I think it will be a much more team based objective game than stockpile. With bigger explosions too, hopefully.

Tims
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Tims

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:15 pm

Mostly I'm excited for Invasion, as i'm sure most BTB players and even the normal population are. I'm looking forward to headhunter because I was originally a Lone Wolves 40 (now a TS 45).

But stockpile doesn't peak my interest like it should. It might be that Bungie didn't give it enough hype, going around saying "Invasion is awesome, Invasion is awesome, Invasion is awesome",totally overshadowing Stockpile. It certainly looks good, but Invasion looks great.
2/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM BlacKnight

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:41 pm

I love the push and pull game mechanic of stockpile. It's the second gamtype I'm really looking forward to play.

Sig by TuffJuice

Zyzzyva
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: Xyzzva

Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:01 pm

While I do agree that generator defense will be really awesome for small team games, I think Stockpile's tug-of-war style will mesh well with vehicular combat in Big Team, making for some pretty awesome moments. But hey, we have yet to actually play it. I hope that all of these new gametypes are well accepted by the community.

HWM What Name
Apprentice Gunner
Apprentice Gunner
Gamertag: HWM What Name

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:37 am

Im VERY exited about this! Sounds pretty darn awesome!
What

Capt Fiddler
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner
Gamertag: Capt Fiddler

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:59 am

Zyzzyva wrote:
While I do agree that generator defense will be really awesome for small team games, I think Stockpile's tug-of-war style will mesh well with vehicular combat in Big Team, making for some pretty awesome moments. But hey, we have yet to actually play it. I hope that all of these new gametypes are well accepted by the community.

Generator Defense is only going to be 3 vs 3. At least for the Beta. And they're calling it "Network Test 1" so I'm not even sure if it'll make it into the actual game..
I buy books like some people buy shoes.

Apathy
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Apathy

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:48 am

I have to say that this could be a very fun game mode. The more I think about it, it sounds pretty sweet. Could make for some crazy customs as well.

We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:14 am

I'm pumped for Stockpile. I think Bungie created this gametype because everyone vetoes territories and in multi-flag a lot of time it turns into 75% or more of the team slaying and leaving 1 or 2 guys to do all of the objective work.

If I'm right, you will have to set up in a certain way to actually pull the flag and get it back to the scoring point. Then you will have to set up differently to lock down the score point for that time, because it apparently moves around.

This is going to be a very interesting way to play flag variants. 60 seconds is a long time in Halo. Locking down one area for that long will be intense.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame