Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Syience
Mythic Wheelman
Mythic Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Syience

Reach Rocket Hog Race

Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:22 pm

Who else is having a blast playing this gametype? i searched in multi team alone just to get this and it actually comes up quite often. Only have been able to play the hemorrhage variant but it still is a blast.

Some quick tips i learned:
- DRIVERS FLIP HOG, much like in halo 3 where two people flipping a hog counter acts one another. three people dont help the problem anymore

-Stay in the hog, anytime you are on foot you are susceptible to rocket fire which will kill you

- Drive away without your teammates. becasue the will spawn on you and you dont need anyone besides yourself to score drive away if they get tossed out and you will save time and get them back

-do not spray and pray, because you shoot all the rockets at once you cannot stop your barrage of rockets and if you look in the wrong direction you will send your hog flying

-avoid driving over bumps, these will cause you to catch air losing time and if someone has their sights on you you will be launched and miss the destination

-Like in rocket race if you cant make it, stop and wait this will almost ensure you get the next destination and will keep you from getting killed

The system of 15 to win is good because it allows catching up and makes the game alot more fun. i will maybe post some gameplays later, but for now discuss what you think about rocket hog race
Spoiler: show

OcR LouieBlack
Legendary Wheelman
Legendary Wheelman
Gamertag: OcR LouieBlack

Re: Reach Rocket Hog Race

Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:21 pm

great thread! I have only played 1 game of this on tempest *i drove to victory. It's actually quite fun. the Rocket hog isn't very good IMO. I'm waiting to be proven wrong. The passenger rocket makes for interesting situations tho. NOTE: 2ndary weapon is noob toob, so be sure to disable the other hogs when passenger.

if this is truly to replace rocket race I'm all for it. could prove to be another outlet for future WM. ::bump:: ::flex:: ::hog::
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

druceren
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman
Gamertag: Druceren

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Good EMPs from passengers help immensely when you're trying to beat someone else to the checkpoint.

Remember to lead your shots, especially with the rocket turret! It also helps to know how large the blast radius of the rockets you're firing are so you don't flip your own hog over...
::hog::

Syience
Mythic Wheelman
Mythic Wheelman

Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:50 am

OcR LouieBlack wrote:
great thread!
could prove to be another outlet for future WM. ::bump:: ::flex:: ::hog::

Thanks man, yes it is good for wheelmen but i dont intetionally go for them and ive gotten about 5 tops in a game.

The tip about gunning was to aim "intelligently" idk how to phrase it so ill explain a situation.

- Gunning the Rocket Turret you see a enemy to the left you fire at him but miss because you didnt lead your shot, you see an enemy to the right so you swing the turret toward them. what you dont realize is that you missed maybe 3 rockets but the rest are still firing from the barrel, so by switching aim you shoot rockets maybe at the ground in front and this causes you to flip or slow down -

Twisted
'11 HogOff Winner - Gunner
'11 HogOff Winner - Gunner
Gamertag: HWM Twisted GT

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:12 pm

I have played quite a lot of rocket hog race :D I agree with many of your points, but disagree with some of the others.
-Rocket gunners should unload a lot of rockets. What separates a good gunner from a bad gunner is where he puts the rockets he fires, not how many he fires.
-Leaving your teammates to die is kind of cold. If they have no chance of making it to you, start driving, but don't just get in and take off. Remember, once you are inside any seat of the hog, you are invincible, so letting your teammates climb in and then taking the incoming rockets is much better than taking off and leaving your two teammates to die to those incoming rockets.
-passengers are the most clutch player on the team. EMP nades are amazing for denials, and rockets can be good for denials and killing enemies.
-Don't shy away from killing enemy teams, its half the fun of the game ::thumbs::
If you think we're a rolling double kill.. come get it.

Syience
Mythic Wheelman
Mythic Wheelman

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Twisted wrote:
I have played quite a lot of rocket hog race :D I agree with many of your points, but disagree with some of the others.
-Rocket gunners should unload a lot of rockets. What separates a good gunner from a bad gunner is where he puts the rockets he fires, not how many he fires.
-Leaving your teammates to die is kind of cold. If they have no chance of making it to you, start driving, but don't just get in and take off. Remember, once you are inside any seat of the hog, you are invincible, so letting your teammates climb in and then taking the incoming rockets is much better than taking off and leaving your two teammates to die to those incoming rockets.
-passengers are the most clutch player on the team. EMP nades are amazing for denials, and rockets can be good for denials and killing enemies.
-Don't shy away from killing enemy teams, its half the fun of the game ::thumbs::

For the first part i agree just i didnt word my point correctly, by all means if your good then shoot the lights out. i compare it to rocket race in H3 if you were a good booster then feel free to boost as much as you want if you could land ech one, but if you were bad you should not boost each time because it would decrease your chance of getting the goal

and for the killing i do enjoy it but it sucks when you only get to move vertical because someone decided to just pick on you and keep shooting you til you flip then die

brickfungus
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Title: Owner
Gamertag: HWM BrickFungus

Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:00 pm

Twisted wrote:
-Leaving your teammates to die is kind of cold. If they have no chance of making it to you, start driving, but don't just get in and take off. Remember, once you are inside any seat of the hog, you are invincible, so letting your teammates climb in and then taking the incoming rockets is much better than taking off and leaving your two teammates to die to those incoming rockets.:

this isn't slayer... your job as driver is to get to that next checkpoint
THIS SHOULDN'T BE HERE

I'M A LEGEND IN MY SPARE TIME

Cheeseball
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Cheeseball

Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:57 pm

While this is a fun playlist to play some time, i do NOT see it as anything that this community is going to play for a long time, or if it is even a long lasting option in the playlist. The rocket hog seems too gimmicky to me to be the centerpiece of a gametype where someone would try to put too much effort into practicing. You can't boost, and the fact that you can get killed takes away from the rocket race roots of the game.

But it is fun sometimes, and I don't mind playing it for the lolz every now and again.

Remember this is just a gametype within a playlist, so don't go raging if the other 9 randoms don't vote for it.
Helljumpers Old Guard

Yozi
Gunner
Gunner
Gamertag: HWM Yozi

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:49 am

I love it. It's sadly lacking some of the competitve components of H3 Rocket Race, but when played with the right frame of mind it's soo much fun.

As much as I like it tho, I'd like to see an alternate version where:

- You only get your rockets/propipe when you're in the passenger seat (on foot you'll just have a pistol or sword or something).
- Everyone is invulnerable all the time, removing the killing part of it altogether.