Get in the Hog if you want to live!

StealthSniper22
Wheelman
Wheelman
Gamertag: Stealthsniper22

Thoughts on Vehicles in Halo Reach

Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:45 pm

Hey guys, I just wrote up a post over on the Bungie forums. Needless to say, I've been a little frustrated with the way vehicles work in Halo Reach. I wanted to bring in some expert opinions, so naturally I've come to HWM. Could you guys have a look and perhaps let me know what you think? Thanks for any feedback.

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=54722377
Last edited by StealthSniper22 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Re: Thought on Vehicles in Halo Reach

Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:23 pm

You make a lot of good points. All of the points you made about the vehicle system in Reach caused me to move to Invasion as my primary playlist. All the issues you point out don't affect the gameplay of Invasion very much. Mostly, it's due to the shorter tier times of Invasion. If the Banshee can only stay alive for 1 minute, that's annoying in BTB, but it's 25% of a tier in Invasion.

The new vehicle health system seems like it was meant to make vehicles destructible for teams of randoms who couldn't defend themselves on Valhalla and Standoff. I agree with your points on the banshee, and I think increasing vehicle health on light vehicles 50% and toning down the power of the banshee bomb would be nice in BTB.

As for Invasion, I think it's a pretty fair gametype overall.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

StealthSniper22
Wheelman
Wheelman

Re: Thoughts on Vehicles in Halo Reach

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:23 pm

Thanks for your input Sarge.

I swear though, when I go into Invasion with a team of 6, it's not even fun because there's no competition! Guess I oughta go in with a team of 3 and let the randoms bring us down a bit so it can be competitive. I do wish there was a more competitive focused Invasion playlist, maybe even an arena implementation.
ImageImage

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:31 pm

We play a lot of Invasion, and yeah there are many games where you just run over people, but as you play more and get your trueskill up, you start to play real Invasion players. Games get a lot tougher when you play 3 pairs instead of a party of 6.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Twisted
'11 HogOff Winner - Gunner
'11 HogOff Winner - Gunner
Gamertag: HWM Twisted GT

Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:00 pm

As one of the top BTB banshee pilots in Halo 3 with over 10,000 kills, I would have to agree with you. When I first saw the reach banshee I got really excited. The thing looks like a flying tank and just looks aesthetically pleasing.Unfortunately it feels ridiculous, overpowered, and clumsy. The super advanced covenant for some reason decided to mount a green wraith mortar on a paper-mache plane I guess... The plasma cannons are useless and almost never used, and the banshee no longer takes any skill or practice to fly. The rolls are overpowered, look stupid, and feel stupid.

And that's just the banshee! The scorpion tank is scarily strong and extremely difficult to kill in the hands of a veteran player. The wraith, ghost, revenant, and falcon all feel balanced and fun to me.

The warthog is still fun to use on all maps except hemorrhage where you slowly get picked apart by people with DMRs too far away to shoot back at. I am glad that it takes a lot of skill to use now, and the reduced longevity of it makes it all the more challenging. No longer is it about sprees or multikills, but more about supporting your team for a time.

Thats just my opinion though.
If you think we're a rolling double kill.. come get it.

StealthSniper22
Wheelman
Wheelman

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:13 pm

Twisted wrote:
As one of the top BTB banshee pilots in Halo 3 with over 10,000 kills, I would have to agree with you. When I first saw the reach banshee I got really excited. The thing looks like a flying tank and just looks aesthetically pleasing.Unfortunately it feels ridiculous, overpowered, and clumsy. The super advanced covenant for some reason decided to mount a green wraith mortar on a paper-mache plane I guess... The plasma cannons are useless and almost never used, and the banshee no longer takes any skill or practice to fly. The rolls are overpowered, look stupid, and feel stupid.

And that's just the banshee! The scorpion tank is scarily strong and extremely difficult to kill in the hands of a veteran player. The wraith, ghost, revenant, and falcon all feel balanced and fun to me.

The warthog is still fun to use on all maps except hemorrhage where you slowly get picked apart by people with DMRs too far away to shoot back at. I am glad that it takes a lot of skill to use now, and the reduced longevity of it makes it all the more challenging. No longer is it about sprees or multikills, but more about supporting your team for a time.

Thats just my opinion though.

Well said, I should have included the fact that in addition to the Warthog's gun now overheating, it's also less accurate, and people can DMR you from across the map and slowly tick your hogs health to nothing. I hate having to abandon a Warthog because it's on fire. Even worse is taken my attention away from the game at hand to blow up a stray flaming Revenant just so it'll respawn. What's more, if I see a flaming vehicle mid-field and I want to blow it up, there isn't any way of telling if it's my team's or the other team. I might just be uknowingly returning a vehicle to my enemy!

I remember back in Halo 3 when my gunner would stay in the back of my hog no matter what. Even if a salvo of missiles was coming at us, he knew I'd either dodge it, or have a bubble shield ready. In Reach, we pretty much abandon ship as soon as the thing starts flaming : (
ImageImage

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM BlacKnight

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:24 pm

I'm hoping for a patch that will give vehicles more strength in terms of health for the warthog/ghost and banshee as they're so fragile. Also I think the banshee needs to be patched so you can't flip over and over, so instead a 3sec delay before you can flip again. Another problem with the banshee imo is the blast radius on the banshee bomb, as it's massive so I'll like to see this reduced but keeping the damage the same.

If they do release a patch the damage delt by DMR's/Sniper rounds should be significantly reduced when they collide with vehicles. The heavy weapons such as rockets/laser can be left alone as they're designed to be anti-vehicular unlike DMR's which are like mini lasers that you spawn with :/

Sig by TuffJuice

crunchUK
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: a3ec

Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:30 pm

Black Knight wrote:
I'm hoping for a patch that will give vehicles more strength in terms of health for the warthog/ghost and banshee as they're so fragile. Also I think the banshee needs to be patched so you can't flip over and over, so instead a 3sec delay before you can flip again. Another problem with the banshee imo is the blast radius on the banshee bomb, as it's massive so I'll like to see this reduced but keeping the damage the same.

If they do release a patch the damage delt by DMR's/Sniper rounds should be significantly reduced when they collide with vehicles.

Yes to all of this. On Breakpoint it only takes 4 sniper rounds and a single DMR shot from some guy on the ridge to destroy a spawn-fresh banshee.

P3P5I
Legendary Wheelman
Legendary Wheelman
Gamertag: P3P5I

Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:40 pm

It seems to me your main disagreement is the change in vehicle roles in Reach. What I don't think you addressed in your thread were the consequences of each system in Reach. With the "longer and less intense" system you advocate, there needs to be more power weapons on the maps (think Halo 3 laser that destroyed vehicle combat for the entire other team). This is the one point that kills your argument for me. I absolutely hated the Halo 3 laser, which took away more skill in driving than the current vehicle damage system in Reach. Seriously, once one team got the laser you were basically forced to get out of any vehicles you were in because driving around in them meant instant death for you, regardless of how skilled you are in that vehicle. Even with all the drawbacks of the current vehicle damage system, I'm glad there are no vehicle shutdown weapons to the extent the laser was in Halo 3.

Personally, I feel my skill as a driver shines more in Reach than any previous Halo game.

Spectre o UK
Wheelman
Wheelman
Gamertag: Spectre o UK

Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:57 am

Black Knight wrote:
If they do release a patch the damage delt by DMR's/Sniper rounds should be significantly reduced when they collide with vehicles.

I agree whole heartedly with this. I think the sniper especially does too much damage to vehicles. The damage by these weapons ideally should be decreased. Anti vehicle weapons should still be deadly, as that's their role, but as standard weaponry does so much damage to vehicles i haven't seen anti vehicle weapons used for their role so much in Reach.