Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Luv Gunn
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Luv Gunn

Wheelmen Map Testing (Players Needed!!!)

Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:15 pm

Like to forge maps? Have great maps but no friends that want to test them, or no free time to do it?
Look no further! Introducing the Wheelmen Map Testing Night.

How it works:
  • You make an awesome map or 2, or 3!
  • You sign up in this thread!
  • We decide on a date and time
  • You attend the Map Testing night.
  • Give other players your feedback
  • Save your films!

We will need at least 8 people so feel free to invite your friends for some fun customs! Each person will get to test one gametype on one map and then we move on to the next person's map and gametype. This will ensure that we don't get bored by playing the same map over and over again AND to make sure that everyone gets their maps tested. Also it ensures that one person doesn't get all their own maps/gametypes tested at once and then abandon us.

If your map doesn't play so well you cannot leave to forge a quick fix unless you know FOR SURE what the problem is, ie: no flags placed in a CTF map, no respawn areas/starting points, or your race map has no hills. ALL "cosmetic" problems will have to be left alone to make sure everybody gets a turn. So no leaving to add loadout cameras, changing the colors of the bases, or changing weapon/vehicles respawn times, etc!

We will make sure you get proper feedback... The constructive type.
Spoiler: show
In game we'll try to take notice of the map. I'll break it down into a few different categories that I have interest in but feel free to add your own if I leave something out.
  • Enjoyability-Was it FUN!? It'd had better be...
  • Playability-spawns work, objectives are placed (Flags, Bombs, Hills), the map functions on a basic level
  • Balance-beyond the basics, were there too many power weapons, no cover in the middle, high perches with great cover, campable corners, or overpowered vehicles?
  • Breakability- did the map have proper Kill/Safe zones, were there any secret jumps or ledges that could be exploited, race maps with secret routes, could jet-packers get out or on top of the map?
  • Aesthetics- overall impression of the look of the map, any glitching, how could it be improved,
  • Originality- was it just two bases and some cover in the middle because Cliffhanger is already in matchmaking... it doesn't need a sibling.

After each game be sure to save the film so you can review it later OR you can put it in your fileshare to submit to Bungie if you think your map is good enough for Matchmaking.
Last edited by Luv Gunn on Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luv Gunn
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder

Re: Wheelmen Map Testing/Video making

Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:16 pm

-UPDATED-

Please post here if you interested. Also feel free to post links to your map, gametype, pics or video of the map you want us to play. That way we can get a sneak peek at what we'll be playing and to ensure we have all the right (Bungie tested, matchmaking approved) gametypes.

I'd like to retry one of my 1st Reach maps because I just added multi-team spawns and I'd like to see how it plays out. We may not be able to get 16 people but it's something to shoot for. That will be on my map The Expressway

Secondly, I've made a new 1 sided warthog map inspired by the warthog thread. People will either love it or hate it. That can't be helped. I wanted to use this certain area of Hemorrhage for a while, but Mouse Hill made it kinda hard to make the map balanced unless I gave in to the asymmetrical pull.

Overview: Mouse hill is center left and the caves are top left/bottom left. Red base far left, Blue Base Far Right. The Coliseum windows are above the map and mostly aesthetic. They form a large aerial bridge across the map that limits line of sight from one base to the other. The circular staircases running diagonally through the center are good cover for both GP's and the warthog. See below for more.

Red Base/Defense: There is a red bunker in the very back where the defense can hunker down however the flag is out in the open in between the decorative spires (you can barely see the flag capture plate (I know its not needed on 1-flag!)).

Cover: I've wanted to use this structure concept for a while. I've found that I rarely use "Inclines" but come close to using the limits of the "Walls, windows, and doors" as well as "Building Blocks". I like the cover it provides, the options you have to get out and away, and that the hog cannot go in between the hole in the stair cases. I think this will encourage foot soldiers to travel out to set up a perimeter instead of turtle-ing up in their caves/base.

Cheers!
Last edited by Luv Gunn on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:19 pm

I'm not a forger, but I do like to offer feedback on forge maps. I'll play in these nights.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM BlacKnight

Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:21 pm

Very good thread and well put together ::thumbs:: (pinned)
I'm always intrested in helping others test their maps.

Sig by TuffJuice

OcR LouieBlack
Legendary Wheelman
Legendary Wheelman
Gamertag: OcR LouieBlack

Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:34 am

Black Knight wrote:
Very good thread and well put together ::thumbs:: (pinned)
I'm always intrested in helping others test their maps.

This! good stuff Luv Gunn
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Valkyrion
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Valkyrion

Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:14 am

I've finally finished the first version of my Invasion map. Now I just need to playtest it to death. Thus, this thread = convenient. ::bump::

The game rolls like Breakpoint— Territories, Assault, & CTF— except it's Spartans on Offense, Elites on Defense. Besides setting up the tiered objectives and determining the Offense/Defense teams, the gametype matches Bungie's basic invasion (same times, same loadouts, etc.) Similarly, I want 12 players to playtest it, matching the 6v6 numbers in Bungie's Invasion playlist.

First phase is capturing one of 2 Covenant "Tyrant" (anti-aircraft) guns. Second phase is planting a bomb (or in my mind, a beacon for an airstrike) on the doors of a forerunner structure. Third phase is extracting the core and taking it to the extraction site.

For more info, check out my original thread. Sorry that it's a bit old, I'll have new screenshots up as soon as I get the chance. Thanks!

EDIT: Screenshots up. See below post.
Last edited by Valkyrion on Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valkyrion
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:10 pm

Managed to get some screens up. For your convenience:

Overview of Tier 1:
Overview Shot:

Spartan Initial Spawns, encompassed by spawn zones. From foreground to background, the fireteams are 1, 2, and 3.

Elite Initial Spawns and territory objectives. Fireteam 2's spawn is visible, while spawns for Fireteam 3 & 1 are inside the left and right Tyrant (AA) guns, respectively. One needle rifle is on top of each Tyrant gun's base, and one is resting in front of the cave in front of 2's spawn. The territories are on top of each Tyrant gun's base. Elites can jump through a One-way shield door in the bunker's skylight to easily reach the top of the territory.

Finally, the bridge between Tier 1 and Tier 2. Shiny, isn't it?

Overview of Tiers 2 & 3:
Overview Shot:

Spawns Tiers 2 & 3:
Spartan Fireteams 1 & 2 spawn here, 1 being in the back and 2 being the front. Rockets spawn on the rocks next to 1's spawn zone.

Spartan Fireteam 3's spawn zone, with the nearby sniper tower. Sniper and bomb spawn here at Tier 2, and Laser spawns here at Tier 3.

Elite Fireteams 1 & 2 spawn behind the control room. Fireteam 1 is on the right, and 2 is on the left. The Fuel Rod cannon spawns on the platform nearest to 2 (it's small in the picture, but you can see it).

Elite Fireteam 3's spawn zone is by these rocks for better protection off spawn. The end of the Large Walkway at the top of the screenshot has a Plasma Launcher.

Exterior shot of Elite's vehicle garage/backfield spawn.

The garage has a Banshee and a wraith. There is a One-Way shield door skylight for the Banshee to fly through (therefore it's facing towards the camera instead of the door.

Architecture of Exterior Control Room:
Shot of one of the objective points. Spartans must plant the bomb at the door of the Control room. The Tower, Tall offers an alternative route up to the objective, as well as added protection going to the extraction point, shown in the next picture.

Extraction point. It's closer to the Tower, Tall than it appears.

A small bunker with a mancannon allows an easy way to lift to the other bomb plant point. You can see the ring array charging behind the closed doors.

A closer shot of the landing platform and one of the Large Walkways. The one on this side has a Focus Rifle at the end.

Interior Control Room:
Below are two screenshots of the interior of the Control Room, the Kill Ball representing the charging Halo Ring. The Control Room doors will open at the start of Tier 3.

Valkyrion
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:53 pm

So when can we get this night rolling?

il Duce
Mythic Wheelman
Mythic Wheelman
Title: Drinking Coach
Gamertag: HWM il Duce

Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:58 pm

I have to work tomorrow, so don't feel like going out drinking all night, but i may be convinvced to spend new years eve with the wheelmen... anyone else down?

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:03 pm

I'm gonna have friends and family over tonight. I'm a no-go.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Luv Gunn
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder

Re: Wheelmen Map Testing (Players Needed!!!)

Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:50 pm

I'd like to get the ball rolling on this. Not the easiest thing to do with my work schedule and my RL stuff but I'll put out some dates.

I'll be at work tomorrow and friday and can generally get away for long enough to play a few games. But when I'm at work I'm at work so I can't guarantee that I'll be there. So I'd prefer to wait until next week so that I can play when I'm off and I can dedicate a few hours. Right now I'm staying with my best friends until they have their baby (inducing/C-section tomorrow) and get back from the hospital (saturday or sunday) etc... I probably wont be able to dedicate a night to Halos until next tuesday or wednesday.

Also I'd like to have at least 12 people total so that we can test Valk's Invasion map. I think 12 could work for most maps even if its not ideal. Any and all should feel free to join us even if you didn't forge a map or want to try out some gametype. We need players and opinions and, most importantly, we need Lolz.

Valkyrion
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:27 pm

Excellent. I usually play Saturdays, Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. On Saturdays & Sundays I have the most flexibility, but Tuesdays and Thursdays are school nights, so my schedule is inconveniently restricted to sometime between 6 and 10 EST. I'll do what I can to work with the plan, though.

Let's do this thing! :D ::collab:: :D

RubbrDuckE
Contest Loser
Contest Loser
Gamertag: HWM RubbrDuckE

Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:17 pm

I'd be up for testing on the weekends (friday, saturday, sunday)!
I messed with Duce and got banned. laugh at my expense...

spoo911
Apprentice GP
Apprentice GP
Gamertag: spoog911

Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:28 pm

i have a map but i can't help test it or any other map because i keep disconecting from xbl every 3-4 min's(im working on fixing it).Anyway i would like if everyone could play test the heck out of my map.I called it valhalla 2.0 because the bases bare a resemblance to the valhalla bases,the middle of the map i wanted to play like sandtrap.Its still a working progress as far as weapon's and game play go.

heres a link to the map:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileD ... r=spoog911

(I don't know how to link yet sorry)

Luv Gunn
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:43 am

spoo911 wrote:
i have a map but i can't help test it or any other map because i keep disconecting from xbl every 3-4 min's(im working on fixing it). Anyway i would like if everyone could play test the heck out of my map. I called it valhalla 2.0 because the bases bare a resemblance to the valhalla bases,the middle of the map i wanted to play like sandtrap.Its still a working progress as far as weapon's and game play go.
Heres a link: Map

Thanks for the link! I've downloaded your map and we'll try to play it but I'd really like to see you there to walk us through it. Hope you get your interwebz fixed so you can get the chance!

I started a new thread HERE to drum up some players since we are playing THIS Saturday. If you can make it you should come, if not I'll save the film and make sure I take note of what everyone has to say about it! Thanks again!