Get in the Hog if you want to live!

DocWeb
Master Wheelman
Master Wheelman
Gamertag: docweb

Hog to Hog Duels

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:37 am

I have notice at least for me, I have lost a lot of Hog on Hog duels. In H3 I would loose maybe 1 out of 5 duels even with random gunners I would win most of the time. Reach on the other hand its a lot more challenging. I think this has a lot to do with the DMR and Sniper suppression from the opposing team and lack thereof on my side. Just one or two sniper rounds in to an enemy Hog seems to seal the deal. I also think any vehicle inflicting a lot of damage on the opposing team is going to be a priority target so driving safe and smart is an important factor. That and not having a consistent gunner isn’t helping much.

Heroic Wheelman
Heroic Wheelman
Gamertag: AH Haut

Re: Hog to Hog Duels

Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:22 am

I'd have to agree doc, hog vs hog battles are tricky spreading the love makes little difference any more, although drivers invariably die first.

Assuming good gunners on both and drivers suporting the gun by swinging it round to match the dodging the hog thats taken the most damage will loose.
can the guys in labs experiment on where to aim on the hog as we used to aim for the gunner?

Tips:
  1. Put cover between you and the other hog, this throws auto aim off and separates the men from the boys.
  2. Keep to flat terrain, your gunner gets an easy shot you dont flip, but....brings me to my next point
  3. Practice trickier manoeuvres over dodgy terrain, the hog flips easy in reach and experienced drivers can use their skills where amateur drivers will fall short, frequently i've been able to purely out drive other hogs by going over a tussock at speed that will flip you whatever, they have followed and flipped landing arse over tit to find my hog firmly planted circling round them dishing spewing fiery lead based pain!
  4. Try to keep a good distance between the enemy hog and yours, if either blows the explosion will take you down too.
  5. Run home to mum, hog on hog rarely ends well unless the other one is on fire, run to your closest buddy be it a wraith or a ground pounder, small arms fire does a great deal to hogs in reach and a few extra bullets and targets will make your job a lot easier.
  6. Which brings me to the next point never go alone, shield swap with other vehicles, ill record a vid next time i get a good example, but its works just like small maps with team mates one pushes the enemy while the other takes pot shots, then when shields are low the first retreats and the second moves forward to take the fire, enemy hogs flounder and burn!
  7. Run consistent hog teams, learn to read your gunners moves and turn the hog to move the turret faster, communicate shield levels and new threats.
  8. if its all going to pot , stop, drop a bubble and ditch the hog, use your DMR to head-shot the occupants, 2 targets are harder to hit than one big one.
  9. hit scan and range are a big boon to the hog, don't stop firing till they have just gone round the corner you may still hit, and just because the reticle isn't red, you will still hit the hog has good damage at range not great, but the gun still works
  10. stop firing when you turn its no quicker, but you will gain cooling time on the spin

keep on hoggin doc drivers are a dieing breed, fool hardy, brave or just too set in our ways to change as the game drives on!
::hog::

DocWeb
Master Wheelman
Master Wheelman

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:29 am

That’s a great Idea Medoc.
I think some lab testing would be extremely useful to every one out here. Anybody want to help.
I can think of a few tests
-Where to target the hog to kill gunner first (if that’s flipin possible)
-How many DMR Shots dose it take to get to the center of Hog (dose it matter where you hit. Dose damage distribute differently depending where you hit) it appears all damage is distributed to driver.
-Sniper Damage on HOG IMO the best anti vehicle weapon in the game next to the laser

Checkpoint
Mythic Wheelman
Mythic Wheelman
Gamertag: RnR Checkpoint

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:52 am

I pesonally try to avoid engaging enemy hogs unless they are pretty heavily damaged or they pose a serious threat. Why? Because 4 out of 5 times, even if you win, your hog is heavily damaged assuming the enemy gunner is half decent. I second what Haut said about running back to base, if they're stupid enough to follow you back, you have an easy win, same goes for any vehical.

I'd be up for some lab testing if you guys need another person, I could probably get one of my gunners to come too.
"I will not lie, my entire agenda was trying to kill Checkpoint before he could get going." -Fidelus Phoenix

DocWeb
Master Wheelman
Master Wheelman

Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 am

I'll be on this afternoon will send you a F/R we can set somthing up....

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:41 pm

When you're fighting another hog, always position your hog so that your gunner takes more damage than you. The vehicle health system for the Hog apparently makes the driver take shield damage no matter where the hog is getting shot at, but that isn't true for the gunner. I've found that the new way to spread the love is to actually position the hog so I don't get shot directly early in a hog battle.

Other than that point about spreading the love, go with Haut's Tips.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

DocWeb
Master Wheelman
Master Wheelman

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:17 am

I think once I get in and test out some theories it will bring some levity to why I’m getting out gunned leaving me dead and the gunner just firing away. Im starting to think that it’s my Skill that is killing me not to sound narcissistic but in H3 and now in reach I would out maneuver the opposing hog and position my hog directly behind placing the opposing gunner in the kill box protecting my gunner with the front of my hog and in turn dropping the gunner like a bad habit and then chasing down the driver for an easy kill. What I have come to believe is the damage multiplayer is drastically different from driver to gunner it almost appears that the gunner is resistant to most damage (not all) but apparently resist enough to resist my gunner targeting and attempting to mow him down and myself getting shellacked in the process..
Theory I think changing the way you approach another hog or a group of spawning players with DMR’s you could USE the gunner as a shield perhaps instead of needing to protect the gunner his damage resistance can be used to an advantage.
Instead of positioning behind the hog at 6 o-clock get in front of it at the 12 o-clock position perhaps using the gunner as a shield I think this might work because its rare to see the gunner go down before the driver no mater what damage the hog endures..
And same with small groups of DMR ground pounders perhaps turning driving the hog away circle back drive away using the rear of the vehicle as a shield I’m not saying sacrificing the gunner but if they can take more damage then distribute it so you can keep the team alive longer.
All theory I can’t wait to test this out…

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:52 am

I have been doing this already, DocWeb.

The driver takes a lot more damage when the hog takes damage, so I've been positioning the hog so that I don't take direct damage.

Ninja
Master Gunner
Master Gunner
Gamertag: UndeadHank

Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:52 pm

gunners pov?
in the beginning of reach i would always target the gunner first but i realized i wasnt doing hardly any damage to the hog or gunner (the reach turret covers most of the body now), so i've switched to just aiming for the driver, like shooting in through the glass or over the passenger seat and after hes dead and the hog stops then my driver can either get away or circle around the hog and kill the gunner/kill the hog, this seems to work fairly well but you still need to avoid hog 2 hog battles as much as you can because it is a lose lose situation unless you run to your side (when fighting the hog you are vulnerable to enemy troops which can dmr you out when your back is turned). i dont think theres really anything else to say.

keep hoggin ::thumbs:: ::hog::
BTB Random.

DocWeb
Master Wheelman
Master Wheelman

Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:06 am

I'm Movin this to the WAR ROOM

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:21 am

You can start the topic again in the Reach hogging thread with a lot of the stuff said here. You started this when you were pink here in the Reach forum. I'll leave it here for other people who sign up on the site.

Storm 0ne
Master Wheelman
Master Wheelman
Gamertag: Storm 0ne

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:01 pm

This thread got linked to me. I thought I'd add my input

The Reach Warthog will always depreciate to some degree when dueling with another Warthog. I've driven a lot in Reach and I rarely win a fair fight without suffering significant vehicle degradation. The key to limiting that degradation is making a trap

Park behind the hill between the cave and cliff on Hemorrhage or behind the tunnel on Breakpoint. An effective ambush will kill an enemy Warthog before it becomes a problem. They don't always show up, but this tactic is not limited to only taking out enemy Warthogs

Use areas that aren't vehicle friendly. Lose your heat in the cave or bases on Hemorrhage, then come out when your allies have distracted or eliminated the threat. The cave on Hemorrhage is my favorite. If you think they'll follow you inside, ditch the Hog and throw grenades as they struggle to reach you. I have even used my own fiery Hog as a bomb to blow up an enemy one

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:32 pm

Great post, sportsman. You're right. You don't want to get into even fights with another hog, because the fights last so long that you both pretty much take each other out. On top of setting up traps, it's always smart to fight other hogs near your teammates.

I often like to bait enemy hogs into chasing me near my team's Wraith, Revenant, or Rocket guy. Gives them an easy double, and allows me to run my hog longer.

P3P5I
Legendary Wheelman
Legendary Wheelman
Gamertag: P3P5I

Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:02 pm

Sarge wrote:
I often like to bait enemy hogs into chasing me near my team's Wraith, Revenant, or Rocket guy. Gives them an easy double, and allows me to run my hog longer.

I agree. This is the driver mentality: complete selflessness (after all, that's how we all keep driving, right?). Letting that Wraith get that double will give you a chance to get 5 more wheelmen in the near future due to their decreased vehicle control. After all, any driver worth their salt knows never to take unnecessary risks.

brama
Heroic Gunner
Heroic Gunner
Gamertag: brama

Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:08 pm

Those are some good points, but I've decided the best thing to do is avoid a hog v hog battle at all costs until the other hog is noticeably more injured than yours. Because even if you win most of the time your hog is all but destroyed in the battle. What we do is stay at the 50 yardline so to speak and shoot the opposing hog and then get out before you take any damage and rely on the rest of your team to keep him under dmr fire while keeping your truck more healthy and then when his truck has taken enough damage (relying on your boots on the ground to imform you of this) move in for the kill and attempt to keep this battle as close to your side of the battle field as possible so that your ground pounders can support you even more. This seems to work the best for us because you can afford to use up quite a bit of time early in order to secure vehicle supremacy and with that comes better positioning on the battle field and usually a win. If you are forced to take on a healthy hog in my experience the best place to shoot the hog is in the engine and once the engine is exposed it can be destoyed very quickly for the instant double kill by foccusing on the engine rather than the people in the truck. We use this as a last resort though we usually win these battles but our truck is usually so damaged its rendered useless after the fact. Anyway thats my two cents hope that helps or if you have anything to add or improve on our tactics i'd like to hear it.