Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Twisted
'11 HogOff Winner - Gunner
Gamertag: HWM Twisted GT

Anime Top 5's and Recommendations

Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:50 pm

This is a top 5 thread that is also a recommendations thread for your favorite animes! Convince others to watch your favorite shows, ask for recommendations, or discuss other's top 5 lists!

1. Fate/Zero

Spoiler: show
Synopsis: Seven of the worlds most powerful mages each summon a mythical hero from history. Together, these 7 teams of Mages and Spirits clash over the Legendary Holy Grail, which is said to be able to grant any wish.

Everything about this show is great, with 1 exceptions: The first episode is an info dump, as the show is a battle royale in which the viewer doesn't know which team will emerge victorious, the show spends much of its early stages establishing the characters and their motivations. It also establishes what the Holy Grail War is, and how and why it is being fought.

2. Cowboy Bebop
Synopsis: Cowboy Bebop is the one show that always comes up when people talk about "the best anime ever made" and it's not nostalgia talking. I always describe Bebop as "Anime Firefly". The show is a jazzy space western that follows a ragtag group of misfits on their episodic adventures through space. The plot, the soundtrack, the animation, the characters, humor, and dialogue, the settings....I really just loved everything about this show, and it's one I tell every person who asks me for recommendations to see.

3. Stien's Gate
Synopsis: A comical group of teenagers accidentally invent a device that allows them to send text messages back in time. They probably don't use it responsibly.

Stien's Gate starts out as a slice of life comedy, then brings in some serious suspense and drama. It's also my favorite handling of time-travel in any show/movie/book I've seen!

4. Code Geass
Synopsis: They only think they know that we are planning around their plan, but actually we are planning around planning around the plan that they plan around the plan we are planning around their plan!

Code Geass is the one show I talk about with people that is completely polarized. People either love it or absolutely hate it. It's got robot fights and world domination plots, so it's worth an attempt though.....

5. Black Lagoon
Synopsis: A Japanese business man gets held for ransom by pirates in the lawless seas of Southeast Asia. When his company isn't interested in paying for his return, he's got some decisions to make...

Black Lagoon is the absolute king of action in Anime. It's ridiculous action is kind of like a Michael Bay movie in anime form, the story and characters are much better though...

Also... Pineapple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKwaPSkjXp0

Honerable Mentions:

*Trigun
Synopsis: Vash the Stampede is a notorious outlaw wanted across the whole planet for causing destruction on an unprecedented scale everywhere he goes....But it seems that he's just a goofy guy who is always at the wrong place and the right time!

Trigun is a really heartfelt show, and to this day remains the funniest anime I've ever seen in the early episodes. Also, apparently I'm a sucker for space westerns, they're just cool ok?

Also: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan, One Punch Man, Death Note, Yu Yu Hakasho, Hellsing Ultimate (and/or the abridged version),
If you think we're a rolling double kill.. come get it.

Swift Strider
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Swift
Tumblr: throwinsixes

Re: Anime Top 5's and Recommendations

Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:01 pm

Oh interesting, I've just started watching Black Lagoon and I'm enjoying it but it's just not really... gripping me? I don't feel hooked =\ I'll do a top 5 soon

Witney
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: I Who is that I

Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:10 pm

One Punch Man (Season 1 is free and available on Hulu). That's the latest anime I've watched. There are others that I've seen like Attack on Titan, Naruto, Bleach, DBZ/super. I usually like to wait til the whole season is out or at least 10 episodes so that I can just Binge watch.

Cloudnynee
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: HWM Cloudnyne

Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:53 pm

I really enjoyed cased closed,high school of the dead, corpse princess, sword art online, yu Yu hakusho and of course DBZ.
Life is simple. You make choices and never look back.

Tims
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Tims

Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:47 pm

I'm only a mild anime fan but in no particular order:

Naruto is great for beginners to anime because it's one of the more popular ones, I grew up watching this and it has a lot going for it. The series is divided into the original and Shippuden, Shippuden being longer. Can be bogged down with fillers sometimes but you can avoid them and the show is great. The show is about ninjas and that's all you need to know.

Attack on Titan has been very popular in the past couple of years and is getting another season animated this year; it's a great concept with brilliant execution.It has lots of "wow" moments and good pacing. The basis is giant man eating "Titans" roam the world and terrorize the humans while humanity has to try to survive.

Sword art online is a cool concept: it's an virtual mmo game that you put on a helmet and actually go into. What sounds like incredible fun quickly turns dark and the entire thing turns into a nightmare. I only really watched the first season and some episodes from the second but I highly recommend the first season especially if you're into mmos.

Soul Eater is a cool show that inspired my original gamertag. Characters work in tandem where one becomes a weapon and the other becomes it's wielder; they do cool stuff like hunt witches and fight demons. By collecting souls they become more powerful which is ultimately the goal for all the characters.

Kill la kill is an anime that knows how ridiculous it is. The main character (female) wears virtually nothing but her clothing draws power by drinking her blood, and the show is ridiculous in terms of basic laws of reality (characters suffer injuries that would normally kill you but just laugh it off). The show is awesome if you're not looking for anything serious and don't mind the scantily clothed lead character.

2/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Jackie
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Title: Developer
Gamertag: HWM Jackie

Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:53 pm

Damn so many...

FMA Brotherhood
Sword Art Online
Code Geass
Dragon Ball
Wolf's Rain
YuYu Hakusho

Among so many others.

SMOG
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: HWM SIVIOG1

Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:42 am

MUST WATCH! This is not in any particular order but awesome non the less...
Fist of the North Star
8 Man After
Vampire Hunter D
Ghost in the Shell
Full Metal Alchemist
Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, Dragon Ball Super
Attack on Titan
Bleach
Naruto
Naruto Shippudden
Claymore
Hunter X Hunter
Cowboy Bebop

Gewandt 032
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: Gewandt 032

Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:50 am

I sensed we were doing anime lists, had to wake up to do this

1) Soul Eater

This one takes the cake for me, bar none. It has a wonderfully well written (alliteration) and interesting cast of characters that go through consistent development through the four seasons, both heroes and villains. Its a vast roster of characters, and almost all of them go through critical points in the plot, with none of them, no matter how small, being forgotten. It also boasts a remarkably interesting plot line, however criminally short it may be, and a wonderful blend of good voice acting and animation. Hell, this show was good enough that I re-watch it every year, and I'm currently in the works of getting some tattoos done inspired by it. Seriously, check this out. Hard to put this awesomeness into words.

2) Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

One of the greatest anime of all time (In my opinion) Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood has one of the best story lines to date. With a ton of heavy themes and dark plot points, FMA:B is easily a top contender just based on story alone. The only reason this doesn't take number one is the cast, which while they are very well written, there are far too many that don't go through any kind of progression, with the main cast absorbing the screen time. Not that this is a bad thing at all, that's why they're main!

3) Arpeggio of Blue Steel

Alright, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, let me break this thing down here. On the bright side, this has one of the best concise story lines I've seen in a while, managing to do in twelve episodes what some anime can't do in 12 seasons. On the downside, for only 12 episodes, it gets rather 'fanservice-ey' for a bit more than I would care for. However, it does manage to make most (but not all) of the fanservice at least semi-relevant to the plot. But the remainder of the show is fantastic, and if there was more than 12 episodes, this would undoubtedly be my number one.

4) One Punch Man

This show should not work. No part of this show should even be able to pass, much less achieve the ratings it did. But it did. And you should watch it. If I give you any details, it shall spoil the fun that is OPM, so please, go watch it. Do it.

Twisted

Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:24 am

Swift Strider wrote:
Oh interesting, I've just started watching Black Lagoon and I'm enjoying it but it's just not really... gripping me? I don't feel hooked =\ I'll do a top 5 soon

Yeah, it doesn't really hook you, so much as it gives you mindless entertainment. There are some arcs with emotional development, Rock and Revy especially have great character development over time, but there isn't really an overarching plot holding it all together.

Cloudnynee wrote:
I really enjoyed cased closed,high school of the dead, corpse princess, sword art online, yu Yu hakusho and of course DBZ.

I really couldn't handleall the fanservice in High School of the dead. Yu Yu Hakusho and DBZ are so good though.

Jon LH Hart wrote:
Damn so many...

FMA Brotherhood
Sword Art Online
Code Geass
Dragon Ball
Wolf's Rain
YuYu Hakusho

Among so many others.

Ive seen and liked everything on that list except Wolf's Rain. What's it about?

Gewandt 032 wrote:
I sensed we were doing anime lists, had to wake up to do this

1) Soul Eater

This one takes the cake for me, bar none. It has a wonderfully well written (alliteration) and interesting cast of characters that go through consistent development through the four seasons, both heroes and villains. Its a vast roster of characters, and almost all of them go through critical points in the plot, with none of them, no matter how small, being forgotten. It also boasts a remarkably interesting plot line, however criminally short it may be, and a wonderful blend of good voice acting and animation. Hell, this show was good enough that I re-watch it every year, and I'm currently in the works of getting some tattoos done inspired by it. Seriously, check this out. Hard to put this awesomeness into words.

2) Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

One of the greatest anime of all time (In my opinion) Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood has one of the best story lines to date. With a ton of heavy themes and dark plot points, FMA:B is easily a top contender just based on story alone. The only reason this doesn't take number one is the cast, which while they are very well written, there are far too many that don't go through any kind of progression, with the main cast absorbing the screen time. Not that this is a bad thing at all, that's why they're main!

3) Arpeggio of Blue Steel

Alright, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, let me break this thing down here. On the bright side, this has one of the best concise story lines I've seen in a while, managing to do in twelve episodes what some anime can't do in 12 seasons. On the downside, for only 12 episodes, it gets rather 'fanservice-ey' for a bit more than I would care for. However, it does manage to make most (but not all) of the fanservice at least semi-relevant to the plot. But the remainder of the show is fantastic, and if there was more than 12 episodes, this would undoubtedly be my number one.

4) One Punch Man

This show should not work. No part of this show should even be able to pass, much less achieve the ratings it did. But it did. And you should watch it. If I give you any details, it shall spoil the fun that is OPM, so please, go watch it. Do it.

I feel like I need to watch Arpeggio of Blue Steel just to find out what the cannon is shooting at, and what happens when it hits...

Jackie
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Title: Developer
Gamertag: HWM Jackie

Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:39 am

Guardian wrote:

Ive seen and liked everything on that list except Wolf's Rain. What's it about?

According to an old legend, when the end of the world comes, a place known as Paradise will appear. However, only wolves will know how to find it. Although wolves are believed to have been hunted to extinction nearly two hundred years ago, they still exist, surviving by casting illusions over themselves to make them appear human. The wolves search for Paradise in a post-apocalyptic ice age while being hunted etc. Haven't actually seen it in years, so I don't know if it holds up to when I watched it when I was like 15. I should rewatch it soon.

Jester
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: HWM Jester

Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:26 pm

Ya'll still missing out on the best anime out there. Noragami :D

Action:

Funny Moments

Cute Moments

And style

Stygian Eclipse
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: Stygian Eclipse

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:26 pm

Top 5 is very hard to decide.. but here we go

1. Hellsing ultimate ( alucard and seras are the best )
2. Code geass and Full metal brotherhood ( Couldnt decide between the two )
3. Darker then black ( both seasons and the mini series )
4. Mirai nikki
5. One punch man

Honourable mentions:
Fate series ( close to number one for me ), Gokukoku no brynhildr, Valvrave the liberator, freezing ( both seasons ) Ajin, gate, tokyo ravens, black bullet, akame ga kill, kill, la kill, and durarara. Many more but ill leave it for now
Flash of the blade is the last thing you'll see

Twisted

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:57 am

Stygian Eclipse wrote:

4. Mirai nikki
5. One punch man

Honourable mentions:
Fate series ( close to number one for me ), Gokukoku no brynhildr, Valvrave the liberator, freezing ( both seasons ) Ajin, gate, tokyo ravens, black bullet, akame ga kill, kill, la kill, and durarara. Many more but ill leave it for now

Alexander Anderson is my personal favorite from Hellsing. Its a show I really enjoyed, but due to the gore and weird vampire stuff, I usually leave it out of my own
recommendation lists unless asked for darker stuff.

Syience
Mythic Wheelman
Mythic Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Syience

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:03 am

Anyone watch Zoids New Century? It aired on Toonami for a good while maybe 10 years ago.

Easily my 2nd favorite next to DBZ. The vehicle spawning in Warzone reminds me a lot of Zoids.

Stygian Eclipse
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: Stygian Eclipse

Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:27 pm

Guardian wrote:
Stygian Eclipse wrote:

4. Mirai nikki
5. One punch man

Honourable mentions:

Alexander Anderson is my personal favorite from Hellsing. Its a show I really enjoyed, but due to the gore and weird vampire stuff, I usually leave it out of my own
recommendation lists unless asked for darker stuff.

He is great, as far as Nemesis go. My favourite is just how they made Alucard and vampires in general. Not the same as they are today * cough * twilight * cough * The story was top, really well written.
Flash of the blade is the last thing you'll see