Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Sarge-Friendly Media Thread

Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Edit: I'm just gonna post gay music, books, TV shows, and movies in this thread.

Troye Sivan is a YouTuber who got popular for singing a few years ago. He skews young in his demographics, but I am fond of his music. He's leading up to the release of his first full album "Blue Neighbourhood" and decided to make a three part series detailing a story about two boys whose childhood friendship develops into something more and then gets ruined by shame.

The first song is "WILD" which is about the feelings of new love and the excitement that comes with that:
Spoiler: show

The second is "FOOLS" which is about the relationship breaking down and the pain of unrequited feelings:

The final part is "TALK ME DOWN" which is set in the not too distant future and things are so sad:
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Re: Sarge-Friendly Music Thread

Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:27 pm

So I'm just gonna post some other artists I like.

I absolutely adore Doug Locke, who has a song called #Thiscouldbeus about a relationship that ended a long time ago, and another song called KING which is very much about owning his own identity that I really enjoy:

Architecture in Helsinki has a pretty cool song called Contact High that's in the vein of not giving a Pineapple:
LINK

They had the music video removed from youtube. Sorry about the MTV ad.

Brett Every is fun. This song is about an older version of himself meeting his younger self. The second song is about a wedding (it's adorable):

Discovered Tom Goss today. Oh boy was this an emotional ride.

Waldebie
Contest Loser
Contest Loser
Gamertag: HWM Waldebie

Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:31 pm

Sarge wrote:
Edit: I'm just gonna post gay music in this thread.

I'll listen to the music later - but this made my day lol
"Disclaimer: shoo heteros, shoo"
------The La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo?!------

Jackie
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Title: Developer
Gamertag: HWM Jackie

Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:43 pm

Sarge wrote:
Discovered Tom Goss today. Oh boy was this an emotional ride.

::cry:: Why would you do this to me?

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:46 am

Okay, but I totally forgot about Tegan and Sara:

And let us all never forget Melissa Etheridge:

CAPTA1NB0B_V3
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: CAPTA1NB0B

Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:22 am

Holy shit I love everything in this thread.
Qapla'!

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:09 pm

Let's not forget that Boy George was singing about his secret relationship with the Culture Club drummer in many of these songs:

I swear he is calling Jon Moss right out in Karma Chameleon.

CAPTA1NB0B_V3
Role Unknown
Role Unknown

Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:17 pm

Please keep this thread updated.
Qapla'!

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:26 pm

CAPTA1NB0B_V3 wrote:

I've considered expanding the thread to include movies and books I've been enjoying. There honestly just isn't a whole lot of music out there for me to post consistently.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Re: Sarge-Friendly Media Thread

Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:35 am

Gonna expand the thread and talk about shows I'm enjoying with LGBT characters, movies, and books.

In terms of current television I'm now watching:

The Fosters: Freeform, Mondays at 8 EST. It's a show about an interracial couple of lesbians raising their multi-ethnic, mixed brood of children. Lot of cultural diversity and the actresses with the best chemistry I have ever watched on television. Super dramatic and sometimes frustrating, but I'm here for Stef and Lena every week. Also, PROTECT JUDE AT ALL COSTS. Also, if I can be half the partner Lena is someday I think I will be okay.

Rosewood: Fox, Wednesdays at 7 EST. Crime procedural set in Miami. Morris Chestnut is incredibly charming, and the relationship between his sister and her fiance is another one of my favorite lesbian couples on TV. Show is just beautiful and fun.

The 100: The CW, Thursdays at 9 EST. Science fiction show. We have a thread about it. Lot of nuanced storytelling in this show set in a post-apocaplyptic future. Currently the source of a lot of conversation about the Kill Your Gays trope. Sticking with the show, but I'm bitter.

Brooklyn-99: Fox, Tuesdays at 8:30 EST. Workplace sitcom set in a police precinct. Captain is a gay black man who graces my avatar. Jake, the primary character, is not my favorite, but I love everyone else on this show. Andre Braugher as Captain Raymond Holt is my idol.

The Real O'Neals: ABC, Tuesdays at 8:30 EST. Just started watching this. Show about an Irish-Catholic family in Chicago. Son comes out and parents are getting a divorce. So funny.

How To Get Away With Murder: ABC, Thursdays at 10 EST. Drama from Shondaland. Intense show. Lots of mystery. Always off the rails, but Viola Davis is everything I love.

I'll post about books and movies another time.

allyjoy83
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: allyjoy83

Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:44 am

I thought your use of Andre Braugher was a love for Homicide: Life on the Streets

CAPTA1NB0B_V3
Role Unknown
Role Unknown

Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:23 am

Sarge wrote:
CAPTA1NB0B_V3 wrote:

I've considered expanding the thread to include movies and books I've been enjoying. There honestly just isn't a whole lot of music out there for me to post consistently.

Movies and books are great too!
Qapla'!

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:57 pm

Let's do some movies!

The following films can all be viewed on American Netflix:

Weekend (2011) - UK
Blurb: This frank drama focuses on the relationship between two gay men who contemplate turning a passionate one-night stand into something more.

This film really stuck with me because of the ongoing conversation throughout the film about how both men engaged with gay culture and how they approached their sense of belonging, expression, and relationships with their friends.

Cuatro Lunas (Four Moons) (2014) - Mexico
Blurb: Tales of a first crush, reunited friends, a tested relationship and an old man's obsession comprise this anthology film on the gay male experience.

A lot of my favorite film lately is coming out of South and Central America. I really enjoyed the telenovela aspect of this film in which we get to participate in four smaller stories from different generations of men. Also has one of the most hilarious first-time experience scenes I've ever watched.

The Way He Looks (2014) - Brazil
Blurb: A new classmate transforms the daily life of a blind teenager who longs for independence and disrupts his relationship with his best friend.

Probably my favorite film on this list. Brazil even submitted it as their foreign film Oscar submission last year. I followed this film for years, from when it was just a short film called I Don't Want To Go Back Alone. Director fought to make it a full feature film and even got the original cast back for the expanded story. It's absolutely adorable and I appreciated that much of the film's struggle was grounded in the character's blindness and not his budding sexuality.

It's absolutely adorable.

The Wise Kids (2012) - USA
Blurb: In a Baptist church community in Charleston, SC, three friends contemplate the next stage of life after high school.

Almost all the film I'm gonna post is going to have some extremely introspective elements. I enjoyed this film for exploring how various friends ended up coping with changes in their dynamic as they prepared to leave high school.

Pit Stop (2013) - USA
Blurb: Two working-class gay men in a small Texas town experience love and loss as they search for meaning and romance in their sometimes isolated lives.

It's very rare that we get a film exploring the lives of gay men and women in the South, and when they do they're typically rather heavy-handed with their messaging. This film focuses more on the lives of the two men trying to make things work in the complicated aspects of being who they are.

I'll add more another time.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Mon May 02, 2016 12:57 pm

Tegan and Sara are going on tour and releasing new music. I'm really enjoying Boyfriend:

[youtube]HJOHoiPGpac[youtube]

In terms of books, I've got Sazed reading Lord of the White Hell by Ginn Hale right now. I'm enjoying it for it's intersectional aspects and because it's written from the perspective of boys of differing cultural backgrounds.

I've also enjoyed Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling for the fantastical Sherlock and Watson dynamic between Seregil and Alec.

Also enjoyed The Archer's Heartby Astrid Amara. Set in a world closely resembling India. It was a nice change of scenery and there are some interesting magical interactions and social commentary in this series.

Never read Mercedes Lackey. Horrifying themes.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:26 pm

Seems the Real O'Neals was aired out of order, explaining some of the weirdness: