Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Star Trek Thread

Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:06 pm

So, I looked all over the forums, and we don't have a thread for general Star Trek talk. Seeing as Star Trek is old now, I'm not going to use spoiler tabs. If I spoil something for you, then you should watch the episode to see what happened anyway.

Just gonna post some thoughts on each series to get some discussion going. This all started tonight when I got onto Reach and joined Jazzy, One Viz, and Apathy, and we ended up playing pregame lobby for about an hour and a half talking about Star Trek, and then Star Wars (One Viz felt left out).

Edit: For fans who want to find out info before posting. The Star Trek wiki, know as Memory Alpha is a great place to go for canon stuff (TV shows and movies), and Memory Beta is the fan wiki for licensed work (books, adaptations, etc.).

Here we go!

The Original Series:
It isn't my favorite for sure, but I think that's because I was born at the start of the 90s and got to see all the cool effects with TNG, DS9, and VOY when I was a kid. However, I love the groundwork you see laid in TOS. Despite the atrocious acting of William Shatner, Captain Kirk is a very fun captain to watch. Also, unlike PIcard, he doesn't have to hold a meeting every time he has to make a decision. If shit happened, Kirk's meeting would be "Scotty, can we do it? No? Make it happen anyway?" and then "Spock, how many people are we going to piss off? A lot? Good!" and finally "Uhura, inform Starfleet that shit is going down."

Also, Undiscovered Country is the best of the TOS movies.

The Next Generation:
Like TOS, most of the episodes are stand-alone. You can watch one episode, then jump in anywhere and just figure out what's going on based on the episode. However, Picard is probably my least favorite captain. I don't like how it seemed that Deanna Troi had the key to his balls. He always had to check on her for a feelings update before he could do anything badass. That's even more annoying in that Riker is obviously such a badass. Also, sometimes the plotlines were just silly.

Picard: "Let's see...how intergalactic issues can I solve in just an hour of TV? Let's find out!"

<3 Data. I will miss you forever. :(

Deep Space 9:
By far my favorite. Only problem with it is that it's got a continuous plot that is confusing to jump into sometimes, even though I've watched the whole series at least 7 times. Sisko is by far my favorite captain. He had great presence and made decisions when they were needed. His meetings were to inform people about what was going down, and for them to get their stuff together. Yeah, some people say Sisko got too religious, but I think Sisko handled it well. He did a good job trying to keep the religion thing low-key, and only dealt with it when people forced it. Also, a black captain, what can I say?

The Defiant is the most badass ship of all time. Enterprise-E may be sleek, but nothing packs a punch the way the Defiant does.

Miles O'Brien is an underrated character with an excellent actor. Definitely one of my favorite characters of Star Trek.

I loved Nog's entire story. He was my favorite Trek child to watch grow up (inb4 the Wesley fans freak out)

Voyager:
It took me a while to get into VOY. Kate Mulgrew (Captain Janeway for the nublets) just has such a weird voice, and it can be very annoying. However, I loved the way the writers managed to make Janeway into such a mentally strong captain, while also maintaining her femininity. She was very much the captain of her ship, but she also managed to come off as motherly at times, and she did not lose all the aspects about her that made her a woman IMO. I think Star Trek has always done a great job with its female characters in making them strong characters that don't seem unrealistic.

Overall, I loved Voyager. I was surprised at how well the show managed to be after all the Kazon drama. I just hated them as enemies. Also, Janeway's fights with the Borg were much more believable than any of the other ones done in Trek history.

Tuvok is hilarious. He and Nelix together give tons of comic relief.

Enterprise:
inb4fanfreakout

I personally enjoyed Enterprise. My dad hates it because he didn't manage to watch it straight through. A lot of people accuse Enterprise of destroying the Trek timeline, but I'd like to remind everyone that Enterprise predates the formation of Starfleet and the Federation, and with all the drama of the temporal cold war, it's not surprising every conflict isn't mentioned in every other Trek canon.

That aside, I liked the way Archer worked as captain. He seemed to form bonds with his crew on a different level than every other captain. Trip is my favorite engineer. Malcolm is an awesome security guard. However, I'm glad Hoshi stopped being so whiny. T'Pol is also quite fun to watch evolve over time.

I just loved the way the ENT crew seemed more human than all the other Trek crews. Since they grew up on an Earth that wasn't the center of the Federation, they seem to have a lot more of the qualities that make humans who they are. I know that's vague, but the accents, mannerisms, and references seem much more Earth-like. I also like how they didn't have a book to follow at every turn and had to make things up as they went. It was a fun series, even if parts of it are a bit weird (including the temporal cold war, the Xindi, and the WWII arc)

So, there should be enough opinions there to get a good Trek thread going. Have fun!
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Turtle
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Turtle

Re: Star Trek Thread

Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:00 am

I loved enterprise, it was too short.

Loved voyager more though, twas my favorite.
3/3 of The Soul-Stealing Trifecta
An A10 Pilot wrote:
i will take this fish and please myself with it

HWM Valkyrion wrote:
TO BOLDLY TROLL WHERE NO TURTLE HAS TROLLED BEFORE

Ninja
Master Gunner
Master Gunner
Gamertag: UndeadHank

Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:44 pm

srsly?
BTB Random.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:58 pm

RabidHaloNinja wrote:
srsly?

ya rly.

Star Trek is awesome.

Ninja
Master Gunner
Master Gunner
Gamertag: UndeadHank

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:26 pm

H3WM Sarge wrote:
RabidHaloNinja wrote:
srsly?

ya rly.

Star Trek is awesome.

hmmm... maybe I'll watch it sometime...
BTB Random.

Heroic Wheelman
Heroic Wheelman
Gamertag: AH Haut

Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:14 am

star trek is awesome, intergalactic communism(not fascism silly americans)

nobody gets paid everybody works for the common good.

tackled loads of issues in its time, issues that could never have been talked about unless it was "make believe"

first interacial tv kiss
first black woman in a position of authority

and many more some obvious some less

one of my favourites was the vice versa epsiode(dunno the real name) where there were people who had the left side white and the right side black and they were superiuor to the other people on their planet who were left side black and right side white

of course it hadnt always been this way and the roles had been reversed before, after sleeping with the tzars daughter and half blowing up the planet, loosing a few redshirts and killing hundreds of natives kirk fixed it all.
and they lived for ever in harmony.

love the ferengi, capitalist womanizers sell their own grandma if they could (rule of aquisition 121: Everything is for sale, even friendship. )
the borg expansionistic interglactic globaliseation assimilators with no respect for culture or freedom or ownership.
the klingons super agressive religious warriors who shoot first and rarely ask questions

there was great comment on relgion as well, but we wont go into that.

i loved TOS, Next Gen DS9 and even enterprise, but overall i think Voyager added something new for me.

terrorists and the estabishment working togther and realising an empathy with both their goals, got a bit silly after tom passed warp 10

the Holo doc, Bones,data, Worf, Quark, Odo.

love miles obrien was great in next gen even better in DS9

my captains, ill always have a soft spot for picard andhes british, old bald and everynown again kicks somebodys ass and your like DAMN!

kirk is the mold the original like russel crowe with a space ship sleeping with aliens and fighting round the universe, prime directive, screw that I want a piece of that blue bird!

Cisco was convincing, he did the monologs well, but never enthused me.

Janeway have a woman in charge of a starship! Causual sexism aside she was class, not as rough tough as the rest but a fantastic performance possibly my favourite, if enterprise hadn’t turned up.

Quantum leap… that is all

Best episodes (sarge might have to fill in the gaps here lol)

TOS – its got to be the film and you guessed it KHAN!

Next Gen – the one where data meets his brother or lequitus of borg awesomes

DS9 – the one where basher finds out hes genetically enhanced (great issues tackled there) or the one where they first use the defiant

Voyager anything with jeri ryan in it.

Enterprise – back in time vulcans on earth inventing Velcro lololol

Okay who played Startrek Starfleet Academey for the PC, best star trek game eva!

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:21 am

Haut wrote:
star trek is awesome, intergalactic communism(not fascism silly americans)

nobody gets paid everybody works for the common good.

tackled loads of issues in its time, issues that could never have been talked about unless it was "make believe"

first interacial tv kiss
first black woman in a position of authority

and many more some obvious some less

Star Trek did go for a lot of firsts. If you're thinking Star Trek is silly by putting up such stereotypical characters in the original series, then you have to look at the context of the time. The first episode aired in 1966, just years after the Civil Rights legalization, we were in a Cold War with Russia, and Americans were in a very isolationist mood. Rodenberry wanted to show a future in which all cultures live and work together, and our racial and cultural differences do not divide us anymore.

one of my favourites was the vice versa epsiode(dunno the real name) where there were people who had the left side white and the right side black and they were superiuor to the other people on their planet who were left side black and right side white

The show has always been about discussing social issues in our society. Haut mentioned an episode dealing with racism about people with black/white faces vs. white/black faces. That episode was called "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield." It was a powerful episode about what could result from unbridled hate and ignorance.

I think I mentioned it in the OP, but I've always been impressed by Janeway. Sisco is my favorite, but the writers did an excellent job writing Janeway so that we never doubted for once that she had the gumption to be captain, but we also never questioned Janeway's femininity. The did an excellent job at making her a strong-willed captain without making her look like a man.

As for the favorite movies and episodes Haut mentioned.

For TOS, he is mentioning the second movie: "The Wrath of Khan."

I'd have to say my favorite TOS episode might be "The Corbomite Maneuver" in which Kirk outplays this alien testing the Enterprise.

For TNG, Haut mentioned Lore, one of the other androids like Data created by Dr. Soong. He first shows up in "Datalore." He also mentioned the Borg attack on Earth that begins in "The Best of Both Worlds," where Picard gets assimilated.

For DS9, Haut mentioned the episode "Doctor Bashir, I Presume" in which we learn that Julian was genetically enhanced when he was young to correct his a learning defect he'd had from birth. It was indeed a great episode.

Personally, I love Nog, so I'd have to say my favorite DS9 episode is "It's Only a Paper Moon" in which we see Nog suffering from post-traumatic stress after losing his leg in "The Siege of AR-558", which is also an amazing episode. I loved Vic Fontaine, and it was a great episode of character development for Nog, and surprisingly Vic, too.

Why does every Star Wars Fan say "anything with jeri ryan is awesome?" lol

Haut's favorite Enterprise episode is "Carbon Creek." In this episode, some Vulcans get stranded on Earth, and one of them sells the technology for velcro and gives the money to a family in this small town so they can afford college. It's a quaint episode, but I find it extremely unbelievable, because Vulcans would not disobey the Prime Directive and sell technology just to do something sentimental for a human, despite the time they spent on Earth.

But, yes, Star Trek is indeed the awesome.

Heroic Wheelman
Heroic Wheelman
Gamertag: AH Haut

Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:27 am

thanks sarge most of my trekkieness was 10 years ago so im not as clued up as you

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:31 am

LOL. It's cool, Haut.

I've been watching Star Trek since I was born. My dad's been a fan for most of his life. The only reason I'm so up-to-date on Trek is that we have TOS, DS9, and VOY on DVD.

I also used to play in Star Trek RPGs in Play-By-Email games. It was a lot of fun, but I've spent a great deal of time on Memory Alpha...so I know too much Star Trek (as if there were such a thing!).

An A10 Pilot
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: An A10 Pilot

Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:50 am

My favorite character from all Star Treks is Spock. I will go into further detail why in a later post.
How do Reavers clean their ships? They put them thru the Wash. :)

oo5
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman
Gamertag: oo5

Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:40 pm

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:48 pm

Animaniacs was a great show. It's almost like you aren't a real show sometimes if you don't reference Star Trek.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:52 pm

BUMP.

BigL, we have a Star Trek thread. Jon! Keep watching DS9.

Jackie
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Title: Developer
Gamertag: HWM Jackie

Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:59 pm

Yassss! Won't someone think of the poor engineers!?

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:09 am

I swear we're in Season 2 of Voyager and Harry Kim died like three episodes in a row.