Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Muffin
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Muffin

Dorm Survival: Getting the most out of your microwave

Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:58 am

Welcome to the first chapter of the Dorm Survival guide. In this chapter we will discuss how to make tasty dishes with just your microwave!

Before we begin, I do want to take a moment to talk about the importance of eating healthy in college. Your first semester will be one full of new responsibilities, new classes and overall new stresses. Eating right (and being physically active, where applicable) can really help you overcome the physical and mental side effects of these stresses, especially as they relate to your immune system and your energy levels. Even simple things, like switching soda pop for tea (Black tea has the most caffeine, just FYI) can make drastic improvements to your health. It's a lot easier to monitor your nutrition when you prepare your own food (plus it's a lot easier on your wallet than eating on campus) so I highly recommend weekly trips to the supermarket if you are able. Now if you aren't able to make these weekly trips; don't freak out. You're in your first semester of college, you shouldn't be masters of time management. Make time for what you think is most important and do that instead. Just remember, this thread is here for you if you find yourself constantly battling illnesses and/or constantly in a slump. Most of all, don't be afraid to ask your Resident Assistant for advice- It's what they're there for!

Here is a link I found with a few recipes I've tried and others that I would love to!
Spoiler: show
Ignore the bit about the avoiding the freshman 15, since body shaming isn't cool. Weight management can be discussed in private if you would like, but the biggest reason I love these dishes is they have a lot of energy boosting foods like apples, bananas, grains and nuts! http://www.srtrends.com/healthy-dorm-room-snack-recipes/

The Pizookie
Spoiler: show
As some of you know, I spent the entirety of last year as a Resident Assistant at the University of Arizona. What many of you probably don't know is that my favorite desert is the pizookie. Here is a link with how to make a mini pizookie to treat yo'self after a long week of exams! And since we're making it ourself, we can choose what kind of ice cream and cookie dough suits our body best.

http://www.heatherlikesfood.com/microwave-chocolate-chip-pizookie/

If you don't have tiny ceramic dishes like they just had laying around, take a page out of our book and use Dixie cups; but be sure to use the non-wax coated kind for your own health. You can also make this in a coffee mug if you are more environmentally conscious, but that can also be a challenge to clean.

If anyone has any additions/questions please send them! I will be updating the list above whenever something I've seen pops into my head :)

Thee MC
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM MC

Re: Dorm Survival: Getting the most out of your microwave

Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:12 pm

Eating healthy is so important. I recommend:

Ramen a la Microwave:
Ignore instructions. Cram ramen noodles into a bowl, fill with water, microwave for 3:30-4:00. Remove from microwave, add seasoning, and stir. Bam! 4 minute meal under 80 cents!
Last edited by Thee MC on Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Biggles
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM TheBigL

Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:15 pm

I'm not huge on cucumber, but those cucumber and cheese sandwiches look dee-lish.

il Duce
Mythic Wheelman
Mythic Wheelman
Title: Drinking Coach
Gamertag: HWM il Duce

Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:16 pm

80 cents? Dude you're getting gouged on your ramen. Never pay more than 20 cents a bag.

Thee MC
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM MC

Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:21 pm

H3WM il Duce wrote:
80 cents? Dude you're getting gouged on your ramen. Never pay more than 20 cents a bag.

I don't eat Ramen anymore lol, way too much sodium. But if you buy them individually, they price gouge them, usually around 70 cents. However, if I buy the pack, they're like 10 cents a bag.

Biggles
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM TheBigL

Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:28 pm

If you do heavily rely on stuff like ramen, you can spice it up and make it a bit healthier while reproducing the tastes of the Chinese dish, Pho.

http://www.obsev.com/food/5-minute-pho-ramen-noodles.html

allyjoy83
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: allyjoy83

Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:41 pm

Quick word on Ramen - the noodles are awesome, don't use the packet. I actually save the packets for when I want more flavoring in a different soup (God bless MSG). There are so many ways to doctor up the noodles, it's kind of insane. Last winter found me consuming quite a bit of ramen. Just saying.