Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Heroic Wheelman
Heroic Wheelman
Gamertag: AH Haut

Booze News - Alco pop Four Loko is mourned by us students

Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:17 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11942801

sad face laffy, stuff does sound dangerous mind.

Chuckar0o215
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: Chuckar0o215

Re: US students mourn alcohol and caffeine drink Four Loko

Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:22 am

It was pretty wild for a can drink...but I made a mess of myself guzzling 2 of them so i aint crying about it.lol
ImageImage

Laughlyn
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Laughlyn

Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:23 am

Chuckar0o215 wrote:
It was pretty wild for a can drink...but I made a mess of myself guzzling 2 of them so i aint crying about it.lol

QFT - the devils urine, that stuff's Pineappling evil. Don't believe me, go watch that vid on the interview... That was a four loko night
brickfungus wrote:
we recruit based on personality and not talent (look at laughy)

crunchUK
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: a3ec

Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:02 am

"...students becoming dangerously drunk..."

Or in other words, students.

It does seem like a pointless ban though, whats to stop somebody buying red bull, buying vodka, and mixing them together? Hell, you can quite readily buy pure caffeine powder on the internet.

"My friend had [a] little under three cans in one hour," explains a student at the college, James Kulinski. "He didn't know what he was doing. He was a mess - he had no motor skills and no ability to communicate."

the fact that that's basically 2 and a half bottles of wine (in an hour) couldn't possibly have anything to do with that, now could it? What on earth are these idiots expecting to happen?

Heroic Wheelman
Heroic Wheelman
Gamertag: AH Haut

Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:34 am

The weird thing is its not been withdrawn as a product, just the stimulants have gone, most alcopops have daft levels of caffeen and sugar in them..... presumeably ::wink::
This is done so you can drink(buy) more without falling down, (sugar to keep you energised and caffeen to keep you awake.)

Having said that, a can thats almost a full bottle of wine that goes down like soda and contains and guarana(differnt form of caffeen) - both alcohol and especially caffeen in excess are very bad for the brain and body, clinically proven to be worse than many illegal drugs. so you can understand the legislators thinking.

It is a free country though and perhaps the culture which insipres people to get smashed is as much to blame.

The history of Four loko
Spoiler: show
2005: Chris Hunter, Jason Freeman, and Jeff Wright, three Ohio State students, come up with the idea for the beverage after “noticing that students were mixing alcohol and caffeine in bars.” The "four" in the name refers to its four primary ingredients: alcohol, caffeine, taurine, and guarana. The trio forms manufacturer Phusion LLC, and begins selling 23-ounce cans of Four Loko at stores around the college.

2006: The drink gains momentum around colleges in the midwest, while raising questions about health risks.” Its unoffical slogan, says Charles Schelle at The Ball State Daily News, is “horny, hyper, and happy.”

2007 to 2009: Four Loko slowly makes headway around the United States, eventually becoming available in 46 American states. It goes on sale in Europe in 2008.

November 2009: The FDA notifies Phusion Products and other small makers of alcohol/caffeine drinks that it will begin looking into the safety of their products. Larger producers had previously agreed to stop selling their versions of such beverages — for instance, Miller cut the caffeine from its popular Sparks energy drink in 2008

Summer 2010: Rap songs glorifying Four Loko proliferate. Examples: Killah Kid Kriz's “Loko Is My Liquor” and Ricosuave's “So Loko (4 Loko Anthem),” which includes the stanza “I know Jesus turned water into wine / But he woulda turned it to Four Loko at a party of mine.”

September 2010: After a Four Loko-infused bender sickens 17 students and six visitors, New Jersey's Ramapo College bans the drink.

October 2010: Nine students at Central Washington University are hospitalized after mixing excessive amounts of Four Loko with other alcohols.

November 2010: A laundry list of colleges, including Boston University and University of Maryland, follow Ramapo's lead and ban the sale of Four Loko on campus. Multiple Four Loko-related deaths are reported across the country. Parents of a Florida man who killed himself blame his death on Four Loko and file suit against Phusion; a fatal Maryland car crash is also pinned on the beverage. As opposition mounts, grocery chains like Wegmans pull Four Loko from shelves, and entire states — Washington, Michigan, Utah, and Oklahama — forbid its sale.

November 7: In an effort to limit lost revenue, Phusion Products sends letters to college presidents and student-life deans, explaining "how to use its products responsibly" and even offering "financial support for alcohol education efforts on campus.”

November 14: Phusion Products agrees to stop shipping Four Loko to New York State, responding to safety concerns voiced by Governor David Paterson.

November 17: The company announces it will voluntarily pull caffeine from Four Loko. The move makes further action from the FDA unlikely.

November 22: Kansas bans Four Loko under the aegis of the state's Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM BlacKnight

Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:06 am

Science time.

Basically and I mean basically you have alcohol and caffeine which have opposite effects on the body as alcohol will slow down your heart rate and the products in caffeine mainly "Taurine" will speed up your heart rate. So by mixing them you're giving your body mixed signals and you may be more drunk than you think you are and that gets you into trouble.

Too much taurine will lead to an irregular heart rhythm so potential heart failure.
The glucose in the cans will fill you with energy so it's quite a lethal mix if you drink enough of them.

The legal level of caffiene per 100ml's is around 30mg and 4 loko's are around 500mls?
The recommended daily intake of caffeine is 300mg, so 30mg per 100ml's in a 500ml can is around 150mg of caffeine so 2 cans and you've hit you're daily limit for 24 hours.

So drink too much caffeine (taurine) with alcohol and you're heart rhythm is going to become highly irregular. Over a period of time you run the risks of heart problems in later life.

Sig by TuffJuice

Zer0
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner
Gamertag: Ah Zer0

Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:18 am

Crunch - until you try it, its pointless trying to compare to vodka redbull.

Mind you i wouldnt mourn its withdrawal - id mourn the fact it actually tastes like this inside of a sweaty arm pit.... the water melon one was terrible....

DOM
Legendary Gunner
Legendary Gunner
Gamertag: HWM DOMIN8

Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:50 am

HWM Zer0 Vis wrote:
Mind you i wouldnt mourn its withdrawal - id mourn the fact it actually tastes like this inside of a sweaty arm pit.... the water melon one was terrible....

I had one sip of Laffy's and I don't know he put down 2 cans... that stuff is f'n nasty... :)
Retired Admin (even though current "leadership" doesn't acknowledge it.)

Laughlyn
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Laughlyn

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:32 pm

I'm a Pineappling trooper that's how I did it. And no, it's no where near the same as vodka redbull... Trust me there is a huge difference. Also I do not know of anyone who has had 2+ cans and has NOT blacked out and done exceedingly stupid shit as a result. And I know a good few people who have tried. Once your brain decides your done, you check out and run on autopilot for a while, which is why I never had any if I had to drive anywhere.
brickfungus wrote:
we recruit based on personality and not talent (look at laughy)

Rogue Sins
Gamertag: Rogue Sins

Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:50 am

They had that stuff at the convenience store by my school... But they actually had a age limit on it... But the stupid thing is on every energy drink ive had, it says "Do NOT mix with alcohol". I mean WTF? Rockstar says that and they come out with that Rockstar 6.9 or whatever it is that has alcohol mixed with too.