Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Thee MC
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM MC

EA Access

Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:20 am

The forums don't allow phrase searching, and admittedly I am too lazy to search through 33 pages of the word "access" (EA too short, ignored by search) to look for the topic that probably already exists about this.

ANYWAY, I'm curious as to how many people have EA Access or have considered EA Access. As evil of a company that EA is, we can't deny that we all love and play many games that have been published by EA. At first, I ignored it because at $5 month, I would have to buy 6 EA games (not including any DLC) for it to pay for itself (Save 10% on EA purchases), not considering the free vault games (many of which I already own).

I was looking more into it this afternoon though, and now I've also found out that EA Access can be purchased as an annual membership instead, which will save you 50% on membership ($30/year). This cuts it to 3 games a year to pay for itself, not including any DLC that is purchased. In addition, EA has said on multiple occasions that it doesn't plan to ever remove games from the Vault, but should they ever have a need to do so, we'd get 30 days notice. Honestly, I'm OK with this since they are free anyway.

Personally, I feel like this is actually a pretty solid deal. For the price of half of a new release a year, I get access to a lot of free games and discounts on games I'd probably buy anyway.

It also has early access betas and stuff, which I don't care so much about but is an added perk! The only gripe I have is that I wish it were cross-platform with PC. Unfortunately, it looks like separate memberships.

Mzoga
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: HWM Mzoga

Re: EA Access

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:12 pm

I have it, and I agree -- not a fan at $5/month, but the full membership at $30 (or even less sometimes if you shop for it) is a pretty decent deal. I personally like the trials the best -- like you can play battlefront for 10hours before deciding not to buy it. :D

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:30 pm

I don't see myself buying a bunch of the Star Wars games coming from them, nor do I plan on buying sports games. BioWare only releases one game a year at most for me, so it isn't worth it for me.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Chaos
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: HWM Chaos

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:54 pm

EA Access is only 30$ a year.

If you play EA games it is 100% worth it, all the sport games go free on EA Access within a year of release so if you play sport games it is worth it.

Battlefield Hardline went free within a year of release, so it's not a stretch to say after 9 months or so BF 1 will be free.

If you take 10% off every EA game/DLC you buy and the fact that you can play games early before they release i think it's a great deal.

Thee MC
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM MC

Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:06 pm

To your point Chaos, while BF Hardline is on there now, that game was a flop compared to other games in the franchise. There are still more people on BF4 than there are on Hardline, so I'm sure that was a factor in its quick debut to the vault. EA has said there is no official timetable for when things go to the vault, I'm feeling like once sales/players hits a certain mark, they make that decision to vault it.
This really is a pretty stellar deal for sports games fans... for the rest of us it seems just barely worth it.

So yeah, I'm trying to do the math. So far in 2016 it already seems like it's worth it for me... Titanfall 2, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, and Battlefield 1 are all games I'm likely to buy this year. I'll make up for the annual cost with 10% off, and likely more because undoubtedly BF1 will have some sort of map pack shit. 2015 was a bad year, didn't buy shit from EA looking back. 2014 I bought Dragon Age, Titanfall, NHL 15. It seems like it's juuuusstttt worth it for me in terms of making my money back. Plus it will allow me to go back and play some of the games I likely wouldn't have bought (e.g., BF Hardline, Garden Warfare).

It's why I'm a little hesitant about it. Although, it is only $30. I'm just being indecisive.

CINCO
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: HWM Cinco

Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:13 pm

I don't have it but usually but madden and nhl
[redacted]

Mzoga
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: HWM Mzoga

Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:14 pm

I'm hoping pvz2 ends up there somewhat soon, so I can harass grass :)